Pages

7.9.23

SUPPER WITH BANANAS

 SUPPER WITH BANANAS      

Between 2000 and 2015 we celebrated special occasions in a banana plantation! 

It was called El Cordero - the Lamb - and a vast barbecue pit was the central feature. Everyone ate meat of all types & spicy sausages. There was salad and Canarian salty potatoes, salsa picante and salsa verde, and lots of rough vino tinto.

The canvas ceiling retained moisture & kept out dust and most of the flies. There were lots of banana plants, a few ferns to add privacy & atmosphere, sparrows flying around, and a feral cat or two.

Halcyon days in Tenerife.

..........................................................................................

Days like today, with the temperature in the 30s, remind me of the fifteen years we lived in Tenerife. It was like the curate's egg - quite good in parts: remembering places such as El Cordero fill me with nostalgia, but the heat could be oppressive. In high summer we would spend a long time in Mercadona or Hiperdino, the local supermarkets, just so we could hover over the freezers to cool down before getting back into the small Hyundai oven we called a car.

Thanks to Fleur Lind for the photo - I managed not to tell you my latest gardening story! - and to Rochelle for hosting Friday Fictioneers.


27 comments:

  1. The vino tinto would make up for a lot

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can sense your nostalgia in this. You bring it to life with the details of the meals and the setting. I love the sound of those sauces - I do think the right sauce can do magic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a favourite place and easy to order - a mixed platter for four!

      Delete
  3. A lovely memory. My husband and I are currently staying in Costa del Silencio, Tenerife. It has certainly been a hot summer especially with no air conditioning. We leave in October when it cools down (haha).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which part of Silencio? And have you gor room for a visitor? :)

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure if my comment posted...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, commenting again, the first one was eaten by Google.
    Sweet nostalgia, this sounds like a wonderful place. It brings back memories of my own adventures abroad, a long time ago. A lovely story, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Google has a mind of its own. El Cordero was great for a night out.

      Delete
  7. This is granonine. I love the word "halcyon." Not a word your hear often these days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So lovely, Tenerife is my favourite island, and I will be off there too in 4 weeks, I can't wait patats bravas her I come 😊

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fascinating write and very enjoyable read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Liz,

    It sounds like a lovely time was had by all despite the heat.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was one of our favourite places to eat.

      Delete
  11. Such a lovely memory, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could eat one of those meals right now!

      Delete
  12. Sounds like you were living the dream there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The island had a lot of good points, but I'm happy we returned to UK.

      Delete
  13. What an interesting memory. You've lived a rich life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In retrospect, yes I have!

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. It `ould be great to do it again 😀

      Delete

Do leave a message before you go!