Pages

1.9.23

IDEAS

 IDEAS

'Where do you get your ideas from?' is a question that's nigh on impossible to answer.

Sometimes they appear out of nowhere, like a lightning flash from a clear sky. Or some incident triggers a 'what if?' thought that niggles and grows until it demands to be written.

That's just the start, of course. What follow are weeks, months, sometimes years of thinking and writing. Then editing, deleting and re-writing through multiple drafts before finally I'm certain I can do no more.

Publish - and be damned by the typos I'd read and missed a hundred times!

.....................................................................................

Thanks to Dale Rogerson for the photo prompt, and to Rochelle for hosting Friday Ficitoneers. 

The above is definitely not fiction! 

I have seven novels and two books of poetry in print, all of which had to go through the same tortous process before hitting Amazon. You will find them there - if you can navigate past the other writers called Liz Young.

And I am within inches of the end of the first draft of novel #8, provisionally titled 'The Two Wives of Steven Denham' - watch this space!


13 comments:

  1. No matter how many times I check and recheck, I invariably spot mistakes and areas for improvement after I've pressed the Publish button!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ideas are cheap. It's the execution that comes hard

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer the lightning strikes of inspiration myself. It sounds like you add a lot of hard work to the jolts. Congratulations on your next book.
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this and so true too Elizabeth 🙌

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds familiar, although I've yet to install any of mine on Amazon. One day. And yes, those darn typos. I'm sure they slip themselves back in after the proof reading is complete.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Writing is one of those things that is a joy to do but is also hard work. I'm glad you aren't letting the typos slow you down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah typos. They hide. We reach a point as writers where we have to move on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those darn typos really are elusive at times! Congrats on the new book

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Liz,

    I've heard those typos referred to as prairie dogs. Just when you think you gotten them all, another appears. Like Whack-A-Mole. Nice story that we can all relate to.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm always amazed by typos I find later after having edited so many times!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I believe we all go through these writing woes. I find that even reading and rereading something I've written still winds up having a mistake I wish I had caught. Nice take on the prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you all for taking the time to comment. LIFE got in the way of me replying individually this week, sorry :(

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!