Pages

28.9.23

MERMAIDS

MERMAIDS

Long ago I lived in a vicarage which had eight bedrooms but, having been built when people weren’t so concerned with personal hygiene, only one bathroom. Therefore if Pa was in the bath at our bedtime, we cleaned our teeth in the cigarette-scented steamy room, with Pa making sure we brushed for long enough.

One day I was scrubbing my teeth when he said, “You like painting, Lizy – paint me some fish on that wall.”

Several small pots of shiny paint later, a mural of four fish of a kind unknown to Nature adorned the wall, together with some seaweed.

Mum wouldn’t let Pa have a mermaid.

...............................................................................

Memory is an odd thing, and it gets odder as we get older. Jennifer Prendergast's photo should have led to a story about writing, or treasure chests, or toys on the floor, but my mind shot instantly back to my distant childhood, and the thrill of being asked to produce a permanent work of art. I can still see that mural, and smell the combination of steam and cigarette smoke that marked Pa's bathtime.




23 comments:

  1. Memory is a funny thing. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, anonymous person!

      Delete
  2. I liked the mother not letting the father have a mermaid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did ask for it to be actually in the bath but my 100 word count couldn't fit that fact in!

      Delete
  3. Very nicely crafted :) from Dahlia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Liz,

    What a sweet memory. Nicely done. I can smell the steam and cigar smoke in the bathroom.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually not a very nice smell, but memory isn't choosy!

      Delete
  5. I don't blame Mum for not letting Pa have a mermaid! This was a sweet memoir and thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Granonine here. I loved your story! Those are precious memories :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. - it was lovely having that memory pop up!

      Delete
  7. What a great memory, and what a special gift Pa gave to ask for a painting. I'm not surprised Ma drew the line at mermaids though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope Pa wasn't too disappointed! Lovely memories, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect he knew all along it wouldn't be allowed. He was a great tease, my Pa.

      Delete
  9. What a precious memory. And isn't it lovely when one of these prompts takes us straight to something in our own lives - not only because it gives us a story topic, but just because it's fantastic to be taken back there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like how the mother would allow a mermaid to be painted. Hahaha - Justjoyfulness

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our stories are different yet is some way similar. I also was profoundly touched by the memories this photo revealed to me. Funny how the mind works. A glorious write, Liz!

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!