Pages

19.10.23

HOME LEARNING

 

HOME LEARNING

When raiders came they hid. The family was in peril from both sides – blue didn’t marry green in the border lands.

No school would accept their blue-green children so Ma taught them their letters, and that God was God whatever one’s religion.

Pa’s lessons were more practical – tending the animals, sowing and harvesting, swimming in the carefully maintained ditches. They needed that skill now.

In the deepest ditch they floated silently amongst the reeds. When the torches came too close they sank beneath the surface, breathing through hollow reeds and praying that the God of Everyone would bring peace.

..........................................................................................

I have never understood how anyone can believe that religion justifies war. It is, in my opinion, terrorism masquerading as religion, though there will be those who disagree with me. That's fine too - civilised discussion is the proper way to air, and to celebrate, differences.

Enough of politics. Rochelle's choice of another of my photos must have wafted across the Atlantic to me, as I've been AWOL from FF for a few weeks. I have been working on my next novel, the first draft of which, I am pleased to say, I have finally managed to complete. It's title is - probably - 'The Two Wives of Steven Blake'. Now 'all' I have to do is reread it, expand it, and edit, edit, edit!!

............................................

The photograph is one of a group I took in a Glow Wild display three years ago, along with some of the last photos of my husband, so it holds poignantly happy memories.

Here is another one of us with our granddaughter.




30 comments:

  1. Granonine here. I love your story, and hope they survive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too, Granonine, and as it's my story...

      Delete
  2. Titania Tempest19/10/2023, 18:38

    Lovely, Liz! So poignant 💔💜

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off, thank you for the wonderful photo.
    And I love what you did here. So good, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed taking those photos, glad you like it too.

      Delete
  4. Powerful story with a timely message.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you TSS, I'm happy the message got through!

      Delete
  5. I agree and this is a good story. Thanks for the pic, I thought it was light fixtures reflecting in the window. Aahh well.
    ~ Dawn M. Miller

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paper lanterns seen through pampas grass!

      Delete
  6. You wrote bigotry in vivid colors today.
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this. Skilful in its simplicity, this comment on our times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know why I keep appearing as anon - Sandra C

      Delete
    2. Even I appear as anonymous when replying unless I go through the process of changing it each time. It's extremely irritating.

      Delete
  8. I'm glad the grandfather taught them how to survive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is wonderful. It's just right for the photo and your blue/green analogy works perfectly to make a powerful point. (Margaret)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret, I think half of us wrote on the subject in our various ways.

      Delete
  10. Dear Liz,

    This piece put me in mind of Avatar, the Way of Water. Nicely done. thank you for the fascinating photo.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Avatar is a film I'd like to see again. Thanks for using my photo,

      Delete
  11. Blue-green? We can't have that. I've always thought of "blue-green" people as a symbol of unity. Of course, people being people, they are often claimed by blue or green or shunned by both.

    Congratulations of your first draft. I know well that that is "the easy part."

    -Nobbinmaug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the problem though - blue-green is neither one nor the other, so both sides can be prejudiced.

      Delete
  12. Well said! Thank you for the photo - Dahlia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading, Dahlia.

      Delete

Do leave a message before you go!