Pages

25.5.23

WAITING GAME

 

WAITING GAME

‘You ought to move, Mum,’ Evie said, ‘these steps are lethal.’

‘I’m used to them,’ Marion replied, ‘and I’d miss all the wildlife in my garden.’

‘Surely you’d be better off nearer the village?’

‘Your dad would never be out of the pub – he spends enough time there as it is.’ Marion turned away abruptly and put the kettle on.

…..

A month later, when Terry, staggering home in the rain, slipped on the mossy steps and broke his neck, Evie wondered at her mother’s dry-eyed calm.

Until, coming home for the funeral, she saw the ‘For Sale’ sign.

.........................................................................

Amanda Forestwood's lovely photo prompts this week's rash of flash fiction from Friday Fictioneers, hosted as ever by Rochelle on her blog  https://rochellewisoff.com/

I had falls on my mind, as my mother had a tumble last night - fortunately no harm was done, though it took a night in A&E and xrays to confirm that. At her age (98) and my own advancing years, we are both knackered today!


25 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. She played the waiting game very well, didn't she!

      Delete
  2. thecontemplativecat here. I love short flash fiction, it is what I write. The ominous warning led perfectly to his fatal fall. I am having some balance problems and have to be so careful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, TCC. Hope your own balanace problems don't lead to anything as fatal as this!

      Delete
  3. Good things come to those who wait. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes one has to give them a nudge, but Marion was clever enough not to do that.

      Delete
  4. Some women can be very patient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra - it used to be easier to give one's name, but I've given up the struggle. I even have to reply as Anon now!

      Delete
  5. It was just a matter of time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope she enjoys her new uncluttered life in the village.

      Delete
  6. Hope Marion found happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well played Marion! Glad nothing serious after your own mum's fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She bided her time brilliantly, didn't she. Mum has forgotten all about it, which is probably the best way to deal with it!

      Delete
  8. There's a definite Delores Claiborne flavor to this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I think - I don't know her work!

      Delete
  9. Glad to hear your mum's ok. Great story though, in this case I wonder if the steps were left that way on pupose... sorted out her problem that's for sure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She could have installed a handrail, I guess, but she didn't. We'll never know!

      Delete
  10. Dear Liz,

    I'm glad your mum's okay. At any rate your story made me chuckle.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh - great story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kind of you today so :)

      Delete
  12. To say so - damned predictive text!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful twist at the end. A very smart Marion. Signed, Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!