Pages

17.5.23

STEEP LEARNING CURVE

 

STEEP LEARNING CURVE

Boy meets girl, big family wedding, they move into their first home, live happily ever after. That’s how it’s supposed to go, right?

First they run out of clean clothes.

‘You’re an engineer, you should know how washing machines work.’

They blow the budget on take-aways.

‘I thought all girls could cook.’

She phones home: ‘How do you cook spaghetti?’

Then the babies come. They’re too exhausted even to fight now, but they muddle through together and somehow, despite the challenges, they are happy.

Especially knowing they have taught their kids to take care of themselves.

..............................................................................................

One of the few things I learned from my mother-in-law was how to cook red cabbage. My own mother was not an inspired cook, so although I learned the basics from her, it was only when I had my own home that I began to enjoy cooking. My own children showed an interest early, and all four of them left home knowing how to cook, and were able to use a washing machine.

Thanks to Rochelle for hosting Friday Fictioneers, even from abroad, and for using another of my photos. If anyone wants my MIL's recipe for red cabbage I'll be happy to pass it on!


35 comments:

  1. I still got phone calls - 'How long does rice take to cook?'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Despite everything, theirs is a happy familty and that's all that matters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thecontemplativecat here. I miss those phone calls from our young married children. I miss my mother. Still know the phone #

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My young married children are now in their 50s, so I guess they know it all now!

      Delete
  4. A true learning curve but they made it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And just like that, forty years passed and we still can cook a meal together. Unless of course, he’s just getting in my way. Ha ha
    I like this vignette of married life.
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound happy - well done!

      Delete
  6. I guess my parents were kind of old-fashioned. Well, I'm nearly 76, so yes, they definitely were :). We were taught to clean, cook, bake, and do laundry early on, and were expected do our share in the housework. It was just normal. I taught all my kids the cooking basics, and they all have excelled. It's nice to reap those rewards now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same generation as you, but my mother didn't enjoy cooking enough to want to teach me!

      Delete
  7. That all seemed to have worked out pretty well. Apart from the takeway bill, of course

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't recall the last time I had a takeaway¡

      Delete
  8. Dear Liz,

    I'm fortunate in having a husband who does his own laundry. ;) Lovely slice of life story.
    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don always did his own ironing, a relic of his army days. Also he claimed 'women don't do it properly' which I decided not to argue with!

      Delete
  9. Sounds like the blind leading the blind but it seems they worked things out. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Teaching your children to be independent is the greatest gift you can give them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is - and your future sons and daughters in law!

      Delete
  11. This is such a true snippet of life. Especially these days. I can't cook either but my partner can luckily for me 🤪

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this. It rings so true.The kids should fare well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Accidentally hit post without changing Anonymous to Britcanwrites 🤦‍♀️

    ReplyDelete
  14. So it was you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We learn a lot fumbling our way through life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most people do, certainly, though there are some I wonder about!

      Delete
  16. I liked that they stuck together--overcame the challenges and taught their kids how to cook and do laundry.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, I really like this! Real but loving each other through it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - this is how it should be done.

      Delete

Do leave a message before you go!