Pages

8.3.23

MEETING THE PARENTS

 

MEETING THE PARENTS

They met at university, fell in love, and were soon sharing a flat.

Her parents visited first, loved the flat and admired Felix’s cooking.

‘That went well,’ Ellie said. ‘Your parents next.’

Felix frowned. ‘Must we?’

‘Of course, or are you ashamed of me?’

He kissed her. ‘’I’ll phone them.’

Ellie spent a week re-decorating and bought some wickedly expensive lampshades. Felix planned a special menu.

Felix’s father greeted Ellie with a hug. ‘He’s a lucky chap.’

His mother managed a half-smile at Ellie and accepted a glass of wine. ‘Interesting lampshades, Ellie, did you make them yourself?’

........................................................................................

My first mother-in-law was a real piece of work, and such remarks would have slid off her tongue without a thought. She was the sort of MIL that prove their reputation for being difficult, although my second MIL was lovely, which proves that generalisations are fraught with contradictions.

Thanks to Jennifer Prendergast for the image that prompts this week's raft of stories, more of which you will find by following the link from  https://rochellewisoff.com/  - the blog home of our glorious leader Rochelle.

AND I'd like to remind you that my latest book ACCIDENTAL ADOPTION is available on Amazon. The first reviewer calls it 'a page-turner' - click on the cover image at the top of this page to buy a copy and see if you agree.


34 comments:

  1. Mothers in law get a bad rap - clearly some of them deserve it! Makes me wonder what my kids' future spouses will think of me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have four children, all married, and think I've got it right, but one can never be sure!

      Delete
  2. They say how a man treats his own mother is how he will end up treating his wife. Over the years I can see a grain of truth in that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never understand the mother-in-law trope. Fathers-in-law get an easy by

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only met my first, who was sweet and henpecked.

      Delete
  4. There is a reason why evil mothers-in-law exist in all the stories... It's women like this one who are the cause. My first one was okay, the second one was, shall we say, work? At lease she has the father-in-law on her side!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly her FIL envies his son's choice of bride?

      Delete
  5. Dear Liz,

    I was blessed with my mother in law. This one sounds like a real witch with a capital B.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just like my first MIL.

      Delete
  6. I have a couple of ex-MIL's, one I never met (long story) and one I adored. Still do actually and she'll be turning 100 later this year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was very fortunate to have two mother-in-laws that were very good to me. As a MIL now I try to be my very best and not one like in your story. :/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I try not to be this MIL but sometimes everything we say is wrong. Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha those delicate little barbed comments, don't you just love them - I was very lucky my mother-in-law was lovely, god bless her <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. It would have been better if the mother-in-law had just accepted the glass of wine and said, "Thank you," and nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would, but she wouldn't.

      Delete
  11. Well done. Sounds like a typical mother-in-law comment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some people are so talented with back handed insults. Dish 'em back.

    Tannille

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best to ignore them, I found!

      Delete
  13. Well, always difficult to fit in with MILs, especially when pretty similar in personality. The things we do to try to impress parents and elders ! Thanks for the fun story Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope I was never like my first MIL!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, the subtle dig. It's not that hard to be kind, but it seems to be rare. Nicely penned story, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  16. "Yes. I made them. I'm glad you like them. I also made what you're eating."

    Fun story, Liz.

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!