Pages

22.3.23

JOKER

 

JOKER

Jack turned up drunk once too often and lost his croupier job, but his ‘Find the Joker’ three-card scam earned enough cash to keep him in vodka.

Tourists drunk on cheap beer and sunshine were easy prey, but trying it on the drug boss from another district was one trick too far.

They found him slumped against the wall of an alley, broken bottle clutched in his hand, blood crusting over in the morning sun, and a Joker pinned to his chest by a six-inch blade.

The headlines wrote themselves –‘ The Joke’s On Him’.

...........................................................................................................

Such excitement this morning to find that Rochelle has used my photo for the prompt - until I saw the name isn't mine. Someone else got the credit :( Moving Mum to a Care Home entailed clearing a lot of stuff she'd not seen for decades, which included this collection of Jokers, amassed over her 98 years of life. I guess they might be worth something but I've no idea where to start looking, so they sit in a drawer in my house, waiting for my kids to throw out when I've gone.

In case you're wondering what 98 looks like, here's a photo taken at Christmas of Mum, my daughter & granddaughter, and me.  



28 comments:

  1. Dear Liz,

    Grisley tale this one. He played a dangerous game and paid the price. So sorry about the prompt mixup. I'm spreading the word that your name should be on the photo. It's a great one in any event. Many apologies.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, on both counts!

      Delete
  2. Some people can be sore losers, can't they

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack kind of had it coming, but that was a bit of overkill.

      Delete
  3. He learned the hard way. There'll be no comeback.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Straight out of a mafia film, I could picture the scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then I wrote it right - thank you, Iain!

      Delete
  5. You need to be careful who you cheat! And by the way, I'll change the photo credit on my post :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’d love to know why your mum collected jokers. No one is laughing at this joker.
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll ask her next time I see her - she told me once, long ago, but I've forgotten!

      Delete
  7. Hi Liz, Love your mother’s collection! And your story went straight to the point. Best, Clare Graith

    ReplyDelete
  8. It seems he messed with the wrong person. A lovely multi-generation family picture!

    I need to change the credit on my post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rochelle's changed it on hers - that will have to do!

      Delete
  9. There's always a bigger fish. One has to be careful who they mess with. Thanks for the picture. It's quite the collection. I got in late, so I credited you complete with links across all my posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - if Blogger actually allows me to post this reply!

      Delete
  10. Oh wow...that was messy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We call that pushing the envelope. Well, he tried.

    By the time I got around to this picture, credit mistakes were corrected and I only knew from comments. Mom looks great. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He tried on the wrong man!

      Delete
  12. A player will play, but the law of averages say that the odds are against him. Maybe he will rest in peace now...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, he went too far. Thanks for the prompt image.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great twist Liz. thanks for the Photo Prompt. Susan

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!