Pages

30.3.23

HOUND DOG

 

HOUND DOG

My neighbours moved in months ago

after years stuck in a flat.

She wanted to grow flowers

but daughter got a dog, and that

put paid to all her pretty plans,

because this dog dug holes

every day, and big enough

to have been made by moles.

So now their little front patch

with compost is prepared.

Twelve feet by ten, her cottage plot,

but at least it will be spared

the attentions of this creature

that thinks a grassy mound

is solely for its benefit –

a small brown digging hound.

.............................................................................................

As you can see, the front gardens in our cottages are tiny. This one is not Annie's - her's is still a WIP. And I couldn't come up with a violin story, so you've got a bit of verse instead. A rushed bit of verse, too, as I have to visit Mum.

Thanks to Amanda Forestwood for the photo - her garden decor makes a nice change from gnomes - and to Rochelle at https://rochellewisoff.com/  for hosting Friday Fictioneers for so many years.


 


15 comments:

  1. The mound may soon conceal a hound

    ReplyDelete

  2. Delightful change of pace Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain - I tried to write a different story but it wouldn't come.

      Delete
  3. My best friend, who is also a gardener has a dog like this. I feel her pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can one train a dog not to dig?

      Delete
  4. I love, love, love this and what a great idea to focus on the garden. And that's my dog: https://ghlearner.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/buddel.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gah. My garden is one reason I wouldn't have a dog!

      Delete
    2. Our garden was a mess anyway and she's a traumatized rescue dog, so we let her enjoy her freedom and fun. You can, with much patience and incentive, train a dog not to dig in your garden. Or only in a selected spot that provides extra fun. Kind of like a sandbox for the dog. :D

      Delete
  5. I've known this pet's ancestors. Fun story set to verse. I hope Mum is well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True story, Bill, and thanks, Mum's doing well for 98!

      Delete
  6. Dear Liz,

    A dog can be a detriment to a garden. Fun piece.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. I'm happy to interact with friends' dogs but I don't want one myself.

      Delete
  7. A delightful tale Liz. I was very proud of the garden I had at my pub, but I was constanly annoyed by customer's dogs that thought it was a play pit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, and telling off customers' dogs could be counterproductive!

      Delete

Do leave a message before you go!