Pages

13.4.23

BEER FOR BREAKFAST

 

BEER FOR BREAKFAST

 

‘Beer for breakfast?’

‘I don’t like coffee,’ Andy said. ‘Anyway, it’s only the one.’

Penny put the milk away, noting the emptiness of the fridge. “On top of the six you guzzled last night.’

‘What are you – my mother?’

‘Your mother let you do whatever you liked – that’s half the trouble.’

‘You leave my mother out of this!’

‘You brought her in.’

Andy slammed his glass down so hard that it cracked. ‘I’m going to work. I’ll be late home.’

Penny looked at baby Henry in his high chair and said calmly, ‘Be as late as you like – we won’t be here.’

......................................................................................................

At least Andy didn't promise to change - they rarely do, as one family member knows to her cost.

Thanks to Rochelle at  https://rochellewisoff.com/  for hosting Friday Fictioneers, and to Lisa Fox for the photo that is this week's prompt.

I spent a while this morning clearing up the debris from yesterday's strong winds, which blew over a plant stand in my garden, leaving plants and compost everywhere. Fortunately my exochorda - otherwise known as String of Pearls - survived. It was a stick when I arrived here over four years ago, and when it resisted being dug up I gave it an ultimatum which it took to heart. Now it is the first shrub to brighten my garden as the spring bulbs begin to fade.

AND a belated Happy Easter to you all.



22 comments:

  1. At least there was no brawling

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I wouldn't have told him in advance. But it's her call. Nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Liz,

    It sounds like Penny is taking care of herself and the baby and rightly so.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm guessing this wan't an isolated incident.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leave before he teaches his child to follow his example. Good choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good choice indeed 👍

      Delete
  6. Sounds like issues are at a head. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They've gone on long enough!

      Delete
  7. It takes courage to leave. Good for her to leave calmly and protect the little one. I'm glad your String of Pearls plant survived. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably the bravest, and scariest, thing she's done. But necessary.

      Delete
  8. My stomach began to lurch when I read the title. She'll save herself and her small child a world of hurt by leaving. I wish them the best. I feel sorry for the guy, but not that sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jade. Sorry if I stirred up bad memories.

      Delete
  9. Heartbreaking. But she's certainly making the right decision ! You captured this in so few words. A great piece.

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!