Pages

5.1.23

GRAFFITI

 GRAFFITI                                     


Twice daily the guard from this end marches across the bridge to meet his opposite number for a shared smoke, the boom of his boots reminding us how deep the ravine is. Sometimes, while his back is turned, daring lads run on tiptoe to spray graffiti, their parents unwilling to forbid these small tastes of freedom.

 

But this morning the unthinkable happened – both guards disappeared. After a few minutes two lads ventured all the way across, and vanished. No yells, no shots, just a deathly silence.

Eventually their fathers went looking, and they haven’t returned either.

 

We’ve been waiting all day. We don’t know what to do.

.......................................................................................

I saw heavily-graffitied pillars when I first glanced at Roger Bultot's photo, and that brought to mind a spray-painted sentence I saw once in the car park of Las Galletas, our local shopping village in Tenerife. It was so romantic that it's stuck in my head ever since.

 Te amo porque nací para cerrar los ojos a tu lado.

I love you because I was born to close my eyes beside you.

And on that note I wish you a very Happy New Year for 2023.

29 comments:

  1. Wonderfully mysterious, Lizy

    ReplyDelete
  2. There appears to be a secret worth protecting, or else the flood gates have opened for an escape route. Mysterious indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they all go across the bridge to freedom.

      Delete
  3. Will the mystery entice people or keep them away? Thought provoking story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will they find freedom or danger?

      Delete
  4. A mystery that demands a sequel. Happy New Year Liz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I'll write one. Thanks Iain.

      Delete
  5. A well told story, Liz. I wonder if the guards, boys, and fathers all came to the same fate. :-)
    I also saw pillars at first, but was confused by the graffiti because of the lack of gang tagging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strange how our eyes can be deceived by an odd angle.

      Delete
  6. I'd like to think they are in a happier place. Forever the optimist!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear, so mysterious. I'd love to know what happened to them. And that graffity is wonderful. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to know what happens next!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very mysterious, Liz. I'm waiting to find out what happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a mystery, so we'll never know.

      Delete
  10. The status quo has been jiggled, hopefully in favor of the oppressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm feeling optimistic.

      Delete
  11. Yay! You saw this photo the same way I did! I feel better now :). I'm thinking the rest of those people would want to follow the ones who never came back--but maybe they're too afraid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thinks they'll have to - or at least the mother's of those boys will.

      Delete
  12. Dear Liz,

    An ominous and mysterious story. Nicely done.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rochelle, it seems to have sparked a lot of interest!

      Delete
  13. The voice in those last two sentences is so heart-rending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - it brings a lump to my throat too!

      Delete
  14. Loved the challenge of what happened to them,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm waiting to see if this week's prompt supplies an answer!

      Delete
  15. This is deeply mysterious and I wanna know more!!

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!