Pages

11.1.23

INTO THE UNKNOWN

 

INTO THE UNKNOWN

The sun was setting when they heard the low-voiced call, ‘Come.’

‘That’s Fredo!’ his mother cried and ran across the bridge.

Some still hesitated, but the trickle of children became a stampede and the adults could only follow.

Blinded by the sun’s last rays, they didn’t see the craft hovering overhead until it was too late. An irresistible force lifted them, dropped them in a strange room, then they were pinned down by the speed of acceleration as the craft sped skywards.

Fredo clung to his mother. ‘Sorry, they gave me no choice.’

........................................................................................................................

This is a sequel to last week's story, written because so many people asked what happened next. So if you didn't read last week's blog, you might like to look in my blog archive and do so now!

Thanks to Fleur Lind for the photo prompt, and to Rochelle as ever for hosting Friday Fictioneers, which hasn't changed its name in years despite starting on a Wednesday. In fact, if I don't write my story till Friday, hardly anyone reads it!

28 comments:

  1. Good story. Using children as bait to catch their parents sounds like an effective strategy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd never forgive yourself for abandoning them!

      Delete
  2. I am a sucker for anything that involves spacecraft and intergalactic adventures. And I liked your take! They say there are far more habitable planets for humankind. I hope that's where the spacecraft is headed to

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. --santoshwriter

      Delete
    2. I think humans shouldn't be allowed to ruin another planet!

      Delete
  3. The Pied Piper strikes again

    ReplyDelete
  4. A modern day spin on the fairytale. I hope they are well looked after, but I fear for the worst!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't bode well, does it.

      Delete
  5. What choice did she have?
    I would have done the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So would any mother. Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  6. Effective bait for the harvest. Hoping only the least painful experiments are done on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too, though it looks ominous.

      Delete
  7. An excellent follow-on to last weeks story. More please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kieth , let's see what next week brings!

      Delete
  8. Nicely done, Liz.
    Things will get better, right? I mean, leaving earth is like escaping an insane asylum, right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now I wait for the sequel to the sequel! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many demands for one, I guess I'll have to write one!

      Delete
  10. That's an inventive but evil thing, to use children as bait to capture parents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an inventive and evil mind!

      Delete
  11. Dear Liz,

    I hope they aren't being invited to the main course at an alien banquet.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an awful thought!

      Delete
  12. that should be "be" the main course

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I liked this. Very exciting!

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!