Pages

18.8.16

SEA GLASS - a story in 100 words

SEA GLASS

Kanet had ruled for sixteen years, but when he saw his cousin’s army approaching he fled the island, leaving his daughter to be captured. Izobella cursed him as she threw her crown at his departing sail, and the gods blew up a storm which swamped the boat, sending Kanet to his death.

Izobella married the invading cousin.

Centuries later Bella, playing on the beach, found a sea-glass jewel, its wave-tossed surface dulled but still holding inner fire. She took it home and stuck it to a cardboard crown. 
“See, Mummy, I knew I was a real princess!”
....................................................................................
The photograph which prompted my story was taken by Janet Webb and posted on Rochelle's blog  https://rochellewisofffields.wordpress.com/  Follow the link from her blog to read other interpretations of the photo prompts that are posted each week. You can also read more of my stories by browsing my archives which are listed on the right.
I spent some of my childhood scouring Brighton beach for pieces of sea-glass among the pebbles, and to me they were always jewels.

16 comments:

  1. Every piece of sea glass I collect has a story. Lovely piece, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen - have you told your stories?

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra - I suppose it has to be a fable with gods in it!

      Delete
  3. Dear Liz,

    Sweet story. Well the ending's sweet. Nicely done.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took centuries, but it had a happy ending.

      Delete
  4. That Kanet was a real piece of work. How many fathers would flee and leave their daughter behind? A great fairy tale, and I always love a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't like Kanet either. Sometimes it's fun to write a nasty character!

      Delete
  5. Such a lovely ending to a cruel father-daughter story. Good for the princess to marry the cousin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She had to save her skin somehow - I hope she was happy.

      Delete
  6. Wow - what a villain of a father! Loved the unexpected ending.

    Susan at
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan - I left the merest hint that Bella was descended from the original princess - did you spot it?

      Delete
  7. Of course she's a real princess - and who knows what magical powers she'll discover now she's got the jewel? Lovely story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a reader who writes her own sequel!

      Delete
  8. Oh I love that you focused on the sea-glass and not the nest... what a wonderful sweet story...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bjorn - childhood memories surfaced immediately so it had to be the sea glass.

      Delete

Do leave a message before you go!