Pages

10.7.24

SPADE

 

SPADE

I left her taking her muddy trainers off while I put the allotment tools in the car, dropping my guard for one minute, but it was enough.

She screamed as he bundled her into his van. By the time I’d got my car started they’d vanished. But she’d told me about the hut on the moor – and what he’d done there.

I sped through back roads, hid my car, and when he reached into the van to drag her out I hit him with the spade. Hard.

The hut’s just a heap of charred embers now. So is he.

I bought a new spade.

....................................................................................

Any mother would do the same, wouldn't she? Thanks to Ronda del Boccio for this week's image. To read other interpretations of the prompt, follow the frog link from https://rochellewisoff.com/

While I have your attention, please take a look at my latest publication - a 'slim volume of verse', as we poets say! In other words, a small book of poems, selected from a lot more written over a loooong lifetime.

FOOTPRINTS: Amazon.co.uk: Young, Liz: 9798328843089: Books


22 comments:

  1. What a great use of the prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The new spade was a lovely touch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Neil - I had forensics in mind!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like the punishment fit the crime. -Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too, though the police might have other ideas!

      Delete
  4. Hopefully she'll get away with it - he deserved what he got.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In this case the fire needs to hid all evidence, as the prisons are full. Mike H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fire is a good cover up as long as nobody digs through it!

      Delete
  6. Quick thinking mother. I'm glad she had an idea of who took her child and to where. The relief that she's safe and the abductor is dead is very strong here. Good thriller, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  7. call spade a spade, she was lucky to save her daughter just time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is Granonine. Great story, perfect ending. No mercy at all for pedophiles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect use for the spade. Let's hope no one misses him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or if they do miss him, they don't want him enough to go looking.

      Delete
  10. Dear Lia'
    A mother does what a mother has to do. Nicely done.
    Shalom,
    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
  11. Certainly! It's awful how quickly it could happen. And she did a good job of covering it up. Buying a new spade was a perfect detail. Nice one, Liz!

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!