Pages

28.6.24

LIBRARY

 

LIBRARY

I wish I was better at marketing

my books, 'cos they’re really quite good,

but I plucked up the courage to ask

at the library in my neighbourhood –

I donated a copy of two of my best,

which are now on display on a shelf –

‘New books by A Local Author’ –

I’m inordinately proud of myself!

................................................................


Six years ago I was brave enough to take a stall at an Authors' Fair, which entailed lots of preparation and minimal sales - not an experience I have repeated!

Dale's image of a roadside library reminded me of Covid lockdown, when I put a box of books in the village bus shelter and an invitation on Facebook for people to help themselves. Any one who was afraid of contamination could stay clear. Others donated too and itt grew exponentially - in fact it became a chore to keep tidy - but for that year (when was it? - I forget) a lot of people were grateful for their reading matter. 

Must dash - it's my granddaughter's school sports day and I have to go and cheer.



16 comments:

  1. Dear Lizy,
    Marketing is the most difficult. All the best.
    Shalom,
    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet every writer would say the same!

      Delete
  2. You should definitely be proud of your bravery, Liz! And I love how you incorporated real life into your story. Marketing is the hardest part about writing and selling book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all agree on that Dale! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. What a nice approach to the prompt, Liz! I love the idea of starting up a lending library during Covid. For some people you may have been their only contact to the outside world! ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our bus shelter became overfull in the end! Boxes of books, bags of toys, and of course bags of utter rubbish - it was much harder to stop than to start!

      Delete
  4. Good luck with the marketing

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have every reason to be proud. That was brave and well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admire your courage, first to write books, then to market them. You have to be creative to do both.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good on you for taking that step to get your books out there. I like your little slice of life poem, and I hope your books do well. Your bus shelter library sounds like it was a great success too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. So successful, in fact, that it took quite a while post-covid to stop people dumping books there rather than taking them to the charity shop fifty metres away!

      Delete
  8. It is not easy to write a book, not counting getting it published and into the readers hands. Good on you. I like your story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on your books! Keep making efforts to get them out to people :). -Angela

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!