Pages

6.6.24

ICE

 

ICE

‘Let’s go camping,’ he said.

‘In winter?’

‘Warm sleeping bags, a fire under the stars, it’ll be romantic.’

It was easier to agree – he always got his own way eventually.

.... 

I woke to the sound of a growl and shook him awake. ‘Bears!’

He peered through the flap. ‘Can’t see anything.’

‘There it is again – I’m scared.’

He went out, determined to prove this mere female wrong, and slipped on the ice.

As the huge mouth closed around his body I ran for the car.

 ....

True as I’m stood here.

'In a jail cell?'

Unfortunately the cops don’t believe me.

................................................................................

Thanks as ever to Rochelle for running Friday Fictioneers, and to Roger Bultot for the photographic prompt. I've revived an old story for this week as I missed last week's FF, but I'm busy compiling a poetry book and subbing a novel, and my brain can't cope with too much at once these days!

24 comments:

  1. Oh, I believe her, really I do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably because she fluttered her eyelashes at you?

      Delete
  2. Dear Lizzy,
    it sounds like no one really believes her. Should they? ;)
    Shalom,
    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well dammit. That's not fair, is it?
    I just love how you wrote this, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dale. Not fair, maybe, but possibly just?

      Delete
    2. I dunno. A tad extreme maybe ;-)

      Delete
    3. I guess it depends on how controlling he was :)

      Delete
  4. James McEwan. A mere female gets the short straw every time. I have taken a light view, as he probably should have been bear lunch much earlier in their relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uh oh. That's some story she's expecting them to believe. What a quirky story you've built here. I like the novelty of the situation you've put these characters in to reveal their relationship. A bear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's been a lot of online chat about bear versus man!

      Delete
  6. Lovely and wicked little twist there, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely, so true, why won't they believe her? Bears do wake up from hibernation on occasion I heard. Fun story, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hibernation? Blame it on global warming :)

      Delete
  8. Hmmmmm. Seems like the teethmarks would speak for themselves if they existed... -Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But they ate him - there wasn't anything left!

      Delete
  9. Well, good luck to her getting out of this pickle. Another fine mess! And a very fine story, Liz!
    ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading, Nancy. Somehow I think she's in trouble.

      Delete
  10. I believed her! Good story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you're on her side, she needs all the support she can get!

      Delete
  11. That was unfortunate.
    Hope they believe her & let her out of the jail.

    All the best for your books, Liz! Take care.

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!