Pages

16.5.24

TERRANIUM

 

TERRANIUM

They sat together in silence,

reading by lantern light,

oblivious to cicadas

and traffic noise alike,

as if they were enclosed

by a terranium of peace,

until her phone buzzed –

their hour was over.

 

She stood up,

closing her book.

‘Same time tomorrow?’

He nodded, smiling.

‘Wouldn’t miss it for the world.’


.......................................................................

A cheeky one this time, combining three different prompts - this photo taken by Dale Rogerson (thanks, Dale) and twoTwitter prompts by @FromOneLine and @vss365. I hope you like the combination!

To read other interpretations on Friday Fictioneers, go to https://rochellewisoff.com/ and follow the Frog.

I've been sidetracked these past few weeks by other writing, of flash fiction and poetry - more about that when I'm ready to let it go public.

22 comments:

  1. A lovely moment of companionable silence

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I so love this. Proof that you can enjoy someone's company, just by sitting next to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thecontemplativecat here. Well written, good use of words. This is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, cat, it's a perfect dream for some.

      Delete
  4. perhaps they should turn their phones off for a change. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wondered if he was in prison, I guess not. Mike H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That hadn't occurred to me but I see why you might think that!

      Delete
  6. An hour I would enjoy for sure. Delightful, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea, an hour of reading together every day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A terranium of peace - oh, I would love to be in that! How lovely to have someone to share it with - silently, peacefully, for a short time. Yes, I am an introvert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. Though I call it self-sufficient!

      Delete
  9. The epitome of companionable silence. A reading partner.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Talking is over-rated! Wonderful verse harkening back to a simpler time. Very nice, Liz! ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading together is better than filling silence with unnecessary words. Thanks, Nancy.

      Delete
  11. Dear Lizzy,
    Nicely melded prompts and a sweet scene to boot.
    Shalom,
    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!