Pages

14.2.24

WINTER SCHOOL

 

WINTER SCHOOL

Winters were colder in my childhood. Even in England snowdrifts were deep enough to dig a cave, snowmen were huge, and it was worth making a sled.

The walk to school was hazardous, the pain as chilblains thawed out was horrendous, but the best part was playtime.

The top end of the playground became a skating rink, where the most adventurous created slides. A run to pick up speed before you entered twenty yards of ice, your feet and body poised to reach the end without falling.

I remember the thrill to this day – the bruises are long forgotten!

 ................................................................................................

See that shining line in the snow? It's probably thawed, but it could be one of  those ice slides of my distant youth. Did they cause broken bones? Probably, but all I remember is the fun. Children shouldn't be too molly-coddled anyway, though no doubt these days such sport would be banned by a health and safety inspector. 

Thanks to Dale for the photo and, as always, to Rochelle for hosting FF.

21 comments:

  1. It was sheer ice except, as you noted, where it melted. Definitely would have been a bumpy ride!
    And yes, kids are way too coddled now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine you wouldn't be too pleased to encounter one of those slides on your runs - in my day they'd have been everywhere!

      Delete
  2. The things we dared to do as kids. I haven't ever experienced such cold conditions, but I did have a freer and more adventurous childhood than is common today. However, I do recall not being as relaxed about my own kids when they were growing up. You've sent me back with this. Great finish - we do forget the 'bruises', thankfully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think our brains are programmed to forget pain, or at least how bad it was. Otherwise there would be a lot more only children!

      Delete
  3. We do look back with nostalgia and forget how cold and frozen we were! Lovely memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I remember the cold! Dressing under the covers, finding ice on the inside of the windows, the pain of chilblains...

      Delete
  4. My immediate thought having read this was - today's kids don't know what they're missing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't - even the danger added to the fun!

      Delete
  5. Child play was so much different then than it is nowadays. Despite the bruises and scrapes, we had fun. Notes to Women

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know every generation has selective memories, but there is FAR too much Health and Safety interference in children's enjoyment now. Pah!

      Delete
  6. Dear Lizy,

    I remember how much fun it was to build snowmen or make snow houses. Growing up really messes things up. ;) Good piece of nostalgia.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two of my grandchildren live in Canada and are doing that even now!

      Delete
  7. Been there, done that. Lying on the sleigh, taking a deep breath and whee. I'd still try to slide on these patches if we still had ice like that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're braver than me - at my age I'm afraid of falling!

      Delete
  8. A joyful, thrilling adventure which I lived vicariously through your story. Thanks for the ride!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing your wonderful memories! People were tougher back then... -Angela

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like such fun! I remember those days and being cold and constantly running back in the house to change my wet gloves with a pair warming on the radiator. I never could stand the cold.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I recall creating a slide right outside the classroom exit. Ouch

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!