Pages

8.2.24

ON THE PIER

 

ON THE PIER

Luke and Gerald had been playing ‘dodge-the-waves’ on the pier steps when the sea suddenly increased in strength, and now Luke was holding on desperately with one arm. 

As a huge wave swamped Luke, lifting him like a piece of flotsam, Albie swung down the ladder onto the fishing platform and lunged to catch the child by his jacket, then climbed the step to the upper level where he handed Luke over to his shocked father.

‘That gypsy boy is a brave lad,’ someone said, and George beamed with pride. His adopted son’s acceptance by the pier community was assured.

.....................................................................................................................

Peter Abbey's photo gives me the opportunity to use an extract from one of my books! Thanks are also due to Rochelle for hosting Friday Fictioneers on her site https://rochellewisoff.com/ from where you can follow the froggy link to read other stories - or even to join our select group!

Incidentally, this story of a near-disaster is based on truth - my little brother was nearly swept off a breakwater when I, as a teenager, took him down to the beach on Brighton. I just caught him in time!

Helter-Skelter: Amazon.co.uk: Elizabeth Young: 9781717344755: Books


23 comments:

  1. Accepted? Perhaps. But he's still the gypsy boy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, and it continues to cause some problems. 1924 was a tough time to be different.

      Delete
  2. A lovely conclusion to what could have been a tragic event. Apparently, I was rescued in a similar fashion from the rocks below Beachy Head as a youngster, so I'm told

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scary stuff! I had nightmares for years about losing my baby brother.

      Delete
  3. Accepted... but they'll still keep their eye on him. Nicely done, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dale. It was much better in the original - cutting a whole paragraph down to 100 words lets all the excitement bleed out

      Delete
  4. all's well that ends well. what a relief.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alicia here. Word press is been wonky. Anyway. What a good story. Hopefully the gypsy boy will continue to be accepted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The ocean can be unpredictable. Freak waves can wreak havoc. I'm interested that your story is loosely based on your own experience - how frightening that must have been. Your story captures the feeling well, plus the dynamics of the little outsider struggling for acceptance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Freak waves - I've just been watching a programme on extreme weather and it was scary. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  7. What a scare and what a brave boy. And still people talk down on him. Great writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was brave, and lived in a time before ' woke' meant other than not asleep!

      Delete
  8. Granonine here. Did I miss what happened to Gerald? Did the sea snatch him? You have me very interested in "Helter-Skelter"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A hundred words aren't enough, are they? Gerald was few steps higher and managed to make his own way off the fishing platform. I'd be thrilled if you read HelterSkelter!

      Delete
  9. Ooo...that's from your book? Intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once i saw the pier picture I had to do it!

      Delete
  10. Dear Liz,

    Captivating story.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's sad when someone has to 'do something' to prove their worth/value to a community. This was a good story and I liked that the ending didn't go the other direction. The story was even better knowing that it was based on something that actually happened to you and your brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michael. That close call with my baby brother made a lasting impression, which is how it ended up in one of my books. I even called my fictional child Luke after my brother!

      Delete
  12. I also have the terrifying moment of nearly losing a little one etched into my memory. It'll never fade. Nicely done! -Angela

    ReplyDelete
  13. Helter-Skelter & Carousel are both brilliant - I thoroughly enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!