Pages

11.8.23

RUDOLPH


 

RUDOLPH

Kate and Steve had rented the Air-BNB hoping their family could enjoy Christmas without fighting. It was ostentatiously rugged, with faux log walls, but the sofas were comfortable and the fire warm. Each day the children wore themselves out playing in the snow, and the adults enjoyed long, relaxing evenings.

Then on Christmas Eve Kate suddenly screamed, “That head moved!”

Steve almost dropped his drink. “The nose is glowing red too!”

“Open the door,” boomed a voice and Steve, ashen-faced, obeyed.

On a blast of freezing air a rotund figure entered. “Come on, Rudolph, we’ve been waiting for you.”

.......................................................................................

Thanks to Alicia Jamtaas for this week's Firday Fictioneers' image, which has prompted me to dash off a story before my day begins with a stint at the charity shop. Seeing a photo of a log cabin with a fire is an unwelcome reminder that winter is not too far away - and I'm still hoping my grapes will ripen! 



 


28 comments:

  1. Ah, the first whiff of a Christmas candle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Liz,

    Aw. This made me smile. Cute take on the prompt.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Magical - though I feel for Rudolph stuck on the wall for 364 days a year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alicia here. This made me laugh. I expected something macabre but the ending was delightful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alicia. I considered going the macabre route but this took over!

      Delete
  5. Granonine here. All I could think of was some way to fit this story into "Rudolp the Red-Nosed Reindeer" melody. Haven't figured it out yet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're trying to sing my story? Gosh!!

      Delete
  6. I love this take on the photo 😊

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooooo creepy. I loved this. Santa as a horror figure? Brilliant πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doh, my name didn't pop up. Yay worked this time.

      Delete
    2. The workings of this comment business are a mystery to me!

      Delete
  8. Imagine Rudoph watching them all the time...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Liz, nice little story! Someone was asking my about my blog, which I haven't looked at for yonks. And then I fell down the rabbit hole... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to be in your rabbit hole!

      Delete
  10. Very imaginative take on the prompt! I hope your grapes ripen before Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They'll be wine before then, I hope!

      Delete
  11. Haha deers will be deers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My kind of twist. Fun story, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fun piece, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL...you must reblog this for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!