Pages

6.7.23

BACK TO NATURE

 

BACK TO NATURE

We were used to holidays in the Maldives, sleeping in a cabin with the murmur of water beneath us. Then the pandemic struck and we spent our savings keeping the business afloat.

Holiday adverts in the Sunday papers taunted us, and in a mad moment we borrowed a tent. Struggling with poles and ropes, tempers flared, and Tom stormed off, leaving me in the peace of the woodland.

Birds chirped, light rippled through leaves, insects buzzed, but there was one rasping sound that I couldn’t identify, city girl that I am.

Then the zip on the tent began to move.

..........................................................................

I have never holidayed in the Maldives but I have been camping in a borrowed tent. In fact, in retrospect at least, my husband and I didn't fight, the tent went up with surprising ease, and we and the children enjoyed our break. Even though the toilet block entailed a five minute walk carrying your own toilet roll!

Thanks to A J Wilson for the photo - I wonder why he chose to camp on dirt rather than on turf? - and to Rochelle, our indefatigable host. 

I was pleased this week to learn that I have sold another few books through Amazon, though it's a faff discovering which ones. Also two friends made a point of telling me they were enjoying reading them, and a cousin I haven't heard from in months emailed from Australia to say the same! If you haven't read any of them yet, a click on the cover image at the top of this page will take you to the latest one. NB: I am not the only Liz Young on Amazon, but a list of my books is on my Author Page.

19 comments:

  1. Be afraid - be very afraid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing to worry about. Absolutely nothing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alicia Jamtaas06/07/2023, 18:57

    I've had camping trips like this, although Donn has never stomped away and left me alone. Strange sounds in the bushes can sure make one stay wide awake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A more challenging camp was when we took a minibus load of youth club members away for a week. We were more concerned about keeping the boys out of the girls tent than any strange noises!

      Delete
  4. Any time a zipper inexplicably starts to move, it's not a good sign. Nice, suspenseful tale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any zipper, or just a tent zipper? 😄

      Delete
  5. No place like home.
    — Tannille

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really hoping that's Tom back with an apology and maybe a flashlight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be. Maybe. Or maybe not.

      Delete
  7. Bears snuffle and Bigfoots rasp; neither bother with the zipper. Hope she makes it through unsullied (and in one piece!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think an animal would be preferable to a stalker!

      Delete
  8. Rasping and then the zipper moves... eeee. Great tension in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Being the eternal optimist I'm sure nothing bad is about to happen. Then again...!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Liz,

    So over the camping days. Congrats on the books.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
  11. You can delete this one. I thought I was logged in.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, must be that friendly little bear, or wolfie. Actually, they are lots better than the two legged ones ...

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!