Pages

29.6.23

LIVING FOREIGN

 

LIVING FOREIGN

‘Living Foreign', 'Going Native’ – expats had various epithets, some of them very impolite, for anyone who chose to embrace local life and customs.

Babs didn’t care what they thought – she had come abroad to experience a new culture, not to create a patch of England with added sunshine.

The local fiesta was a wonderful event, and when her neighbour Constancia offered her a costume she wore it with pride. She hung the customary wreath of almond blossom on the door before she climbed onto the float, waving happily at the astonished, and slightly envious, expats in the crowd.

...................................................................................

When I lived in Tenerife I joined in the fire-building and fun at the annual Dia de San Juan, although I was a bit too nervous - and too creaky - to risk jumping over the flames. There were many fiestas: each town celebrated its own saint, and our local school held processions around our small town. The children were from many different countries, all of them had learned to speak Spanish quickly as that was the language they were taught in, and therefore the cheering crowds of parents and friends were a grand mixture of nationalities. 


Thanks to Dale Rogerson for the picture and to Rochelle  https://rochellewisoff.com/ for keeping this group going for so long. Without her weekly photo prompt I might have given up writing altogether when my life hit a rough patch. Instead of which, with FF and Twitter - @young_liz - keeping me ticking over, I have just begun resurrecting a novel I abandoned two years ago. Watch this space!

16 comments:

  1. I'm with her on this. Good comment on expats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was an expat for 15 years. The cavalier attitude of some amazed me.

      Delete
  2. That is the right attitude - never quite got the appeal of the Brits abroad lifestyle that ignores/tramples over the local lifestyle in favour of 'home'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We chose to live in an area away from the expat ghettos.

      Delete
  3. I 'lived foreign' in a small French village for many years, and in time became one of the locals!.

    A lovely story with an interesting footnote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your French must be very fluent!

      Delete
  4. That's the way to do it, I say. Totally how I would - I can just picture myself hanging with the Tuscan people...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your life is bilingual in Canada, I believe?

      Delete
  5. ...speak Italian!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for Babs - and for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how Babs embraces where she is. That's a very good way to make yourself welcome. Alicia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alicia - the same attitude worked for me.

      Delete
  8. Dear Liz,

    What a lovely attitude. I enjoyed this.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. As you say, what's the point in moving somewhere and not embracing it? I have friends who mainly mix with other Brits in Canada. My friends here are international with a heavy dose of Canadians, and that's how I like it.

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!