Pages

9.2.23

OUR BENCH

 

OUR BENCH


We first met on this bench, each of us taking a breather while walking our dogs. A year later both dogs attended our wedding.

Over time we added two children, and we’d sit on our bench drinking Thermos tea while they threw stones into the waves.

We sat here after his diagnosis.

‘You must do this when I’m gone,’ he said.

‘It wouldn’t be the same without you.’

He took my hand. ‘I’ll be here.’

I couldn’t, until now.

Today’s my birthday – he always remembered my birthday – and he hasn’t forgotten. Look! he’s drawn me a heart.

.........................................................................................

I do believe in an afterlife, and there are times when I feel someone I've loved and lost is close. True or not, it's a comfort.

Thakns to Roger Bultot for the photo - he must send a regular supply to Rochelle, who hosts our little group on her blog  https://rochellewisoff.com/   To read other stories prompted by this image, follow the froggy link on her blog.

 

24 comments:

  1. It's certainly a comfort to think they could be there waiting for us and looking over us. Nicely written Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderfully emotional, and special story, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful love story, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dale. They might have gone but they haven't totally left us.

      Delete
  4. Charming. :-)
    Nicely done, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sherri Turner11/02/2023, 13:54

    Lovely story xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Liz,

    Sweet and poignant piece of paranormal.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was lovely Lizzy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was me - Sandra. I don't know why it won't recognise me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandra. You might notice I'm having to respond as Anon too!

      Delete
  9. What a truly lovely story, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poignant and Sad.

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!