Pages

9.11.22

LIVING IN THE SHADOWS

 LIVING IN THE SHADOWS              


Last week I picked up a form from the local primary school to fill in re a DBS check. They occasionally need people to hear the little ones read or to help with sewing projects.
Three official documents are required, so I took in my Birth certificte, driving licence, and passport. To my astonishment they would not accept my Australian birth certificate. The woman asked if I had a current bank statement or utility bill - no, I do it all online, and a printout isnt good enough. Or a Benefits form? I don't claim any benefits. Or a Marriage Certificate? Yes, I have one of those, so even though Don is dead, the fact that I married him 30 years ago is more acceptable than my Australian birth certificate. Discrimination or what!!

....................................................................................

A true story - I am still incensed, as you can tell! Thanks to Dale Rogerson for her moody photo and to Rochelle for choosing it on such an apposite day for me.

19 comments:

  1. There are jobsworths everwhere

    ReplyDelete
  2. So annoying, but they probably can't access the records to verify the information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been in similar situations - the insistence on a paper bill or bank statement when no one has such things anymore is particularly bizarre!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only a few years ago this was hailed as the paperless society!

      Delete
  4. That is completely insane, Liz! Jeez louise...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I could say I'm surprised, but nothing surprises me these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean!

      Delete
  6. Dear Liz,

    I can't believe an Australian birth certificate is invalid. Seriously? Crazy.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Look, if you don't really want my help, just say so."
    You must be very patient, Liz.
    If one is born in country A, how would a certification from country B be more valid? You gotta love bureaucracy. It is everywhere. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How bureaucrats strive to keep themselves relevant

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah the joys of bureaucracy and policy. I understand their being careful when it comes to volunteers working with children. I'm glad you were able to provide one the approved documents. So will you be volunteering now or too put off by the hoops??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'll volunteer, my granddaughter attends the school!

      Delete
  10. Some policies just don't make any sense! 🤦

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!