Pages

6.10.22

AFTER THE STORM

 

AFTER THE STORM

Once the storm had passed, Lewis surveyed the wreckage. The whole thing lay in ruins, irretrievably broken.

He picked up a chair, remembering how the two of them used to sit happily watching the sunset, a bottle between them.

That was the cause of tonight’s trouble – after they’d finished one bottle he’d asked her for another, and she’d accused him of treating her like a waitress. She shouldn’t have spoken to him so disrespectfully.

He fetched the bottle for himself and sat down to drink, watching the calm waters of the bay, which gave no clue to what lay beneath them.

 .................................................................................

Despite keeping track of Rochelle on Facebook, I have neglected FF, but now I am back again. During this hiatus my writing has shrunk to tweet-size stories and poetry. My Twitter tag is @young_liz if you'd like to read any of them. I have also published a small book of poems dedicated to my husband, who died unexpectedly last year.

You never gave me diamonds: Amazon.co.uk: Young, Liz: 9798846862364: Books


30 comments:

  1. Titania Tempest06/10/2022, 12:28

    This is utterly, utterly brilliant, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Titiana!

      Delete
  2. A storm that lead to an extreme reaction it seems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did go over the top somewhat :)

      Delete
  3. Lovely double meaning of the storm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcone back Liz with this lovely little chiller

    ReplyDelete
  5. That last anonymous comment was from me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil. I'm trying to work out how to comment as me automatically - Blogspot have changed me to Anonymous so I have to change it every time - so frustrating!

      Delete
  6. There is a certain type of man for whom respect is tremendously important, and you give us a good picture of such a man in your story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Penny

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seems so petty. But it's often the little things that kill a relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You set a cozy scene, and then--SMASHED it in just a few words. Really good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh oh ... I think I don't like him ... (Well done!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not supposed to like him, so I've done my job!

      Delete
  12. Glad you are back, Liz. Interesting story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome back to FF, Liz! Good to read you again.

    Alcohol is the "x factor" in any situation, and this time it was a negative. I don't know what's coming under the surface, but it could be devastating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alcohol is never the answer, but often the cause of trouble.

      Delete
  14. Oooo dark twist. Nicely written. There's a lot more going on with him if that was what set him off and she paid the price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He overreacted in spades. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  15. It is to easy to say the wrong thing. May peace return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's too late, as she's at the bottom of the sea!

      Delete
  16. Dear Liz,

    Welcome back. We've kept your space open for you. Hmmm. On your story. Bodies have a way of washing up onto the shore. And now he has to get his own beer. Nicely done.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Rochelle - and yes, he'll probably meet his just desserts. [deserts?]

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oops, I had started feeling sorry for him before you turned it around completely. Welcome back too and I am sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Welcome back, Liz.

    Story with a surprise end.
    At first, we feel that he's such a caring husband, who's missing his wife...

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!