Pages

10.6.20

HOME SCHOOLING - a story in 100 words


HOME SCHOOLING

It was only something to occupy the kids during lockdown, but it also qualified as home-schooling – a blend of science, maths and art.
Our old tent made the balloon, the guy-ropes attached to Nan’s wicker washing basket. Using a blow-torch to heat it was a bit risky but it worked, and when our balloon appeared above the garden fence, the neighbours cheered. Unfortunately, when Bob from next door offered Dad a beer he let go of the rope.
It didn’t fly far, of course, and the police were very understanding, but Tiddles was traumatised – she never could resist a basket.
...........................................................................................................

I do hope you are all surviving the pandemic situation in whichever country you live. One of my grandchildren has returned to school, albeit to a class of seven rather than the thirty she is used to, but the older ones must wait until September - that's a heck of a long break in their education.
My mother is still isolated in her Care Home, and although I have been able to see her twice recently by sitting two metres apart in their garden, I can't give her the hug she so desperately wants.
So I have resorted to humour this week just to cheer everyone up - I hope it worked? Thanks to Rochelle for hosting FF and to Ronda Del Baccio for the photograph that prompted this week's stories, more of which you can read by going to  https://rochellewisoff.com/
PS - Tiddles is a common name for a cat - not a child!

30 comments:

  1. The home schooling was an education all right. Such a fun-fic :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, loved this. My two would love to try this experiment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She was obviously having a catnap. Nice on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cats can't resist sleeping where they shouldn't.

      Delete
  4. That's why teachers spend years training

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So they know never to accept a beer at a critical moment?

      Delete
  5. Great story! I like how you used the current lockdown as the backdrop of your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is difficult not to incorporate the current situation.

      Delete
  6. Fun story! I hope you can hug your mum soon ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jolly. At least from today I can hug my daughter and granddaughter. They're a single parent family so we are now in their bubble. Strange times!

      Delete
  7. Dear Liz,

    Poor Tiddles. A dog, I take it? Men and beer, what's up with that?

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, Tiddles is a cat - a common name in times gone by for a feline friend.

      Delete
  8. That's delightful! It could so easily have ended badly, but it didn't - except for Tiddles of course!

    Here's mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith - don't worry about Tiddle, cats have nine lives.

      Delete
  9. That was indeed fun, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dale - one of my lighter moments!

      Delete
  10. Cute take on the prompt. Traumatic, though for Tiddles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiddles will survive, cats usually do!

      Delete
  11. That's quite resourceful. I never learned in school school. Though home school sounds more dangerous for Tiddles.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think we need to find the best in this year... here in Sweden they decided to keep the schools open up to high-school... it seems that children have not been a driving factor in the spread so far. I wonder so much how it will affect children going forward in places where school have been closed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what worries me about my grandchildren.

      Delete
  13. Fun story, Liz. I love the originality in putting the whole project together :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Liz. That made me laugh, and I did need that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to be of service, Dawn, hope you're alright?

      Delete

Do leave a message before you go!