Pages

23.4.20

PRINTEMPS - a 100 word story

PRINTEMPS

Paris! City of romance and glamour, where even schoolgirls are effortlessly chic.
The smell of wet tarmac each morning as bouches de lavage clean the streets.
An enticing aroma of fresh baguettes, croissants, cafe and cognac.
Metro stations redolent of Gauloises and garlic, loud with fluid French accents.
Secret geranium-scented courtyards bathed in sunlight.

And malodorous pickpockets targetting careless tourists.  Stale-breath’d beggars slumped on Montmartre steps. Putrid bins crammed into ruelles teeming with thin cats.

But this spring the city is odourless, every cobbled square deserted.
Paris consigned to the rubbish heap by a bat - or possibly one dropped petri dish.



...................................................................................................

My first visit to Paris was in 1967 on honeymoon, so I saw it through rose-tinted glasses. I still have one tiny cognac glass as a memento of those cafe-cognac breakfasts - so bohemian we felt! Ten years later we saw a different side of the life that teemed there, in the company of a French teenager and her boyfriend. All cities are two-faced though, and now I find the crowds claustrophobic - I do not envy those poor souls on lockdown in those empty streets. We live in a small town in the country, where my daily walks are full of spring colour and life.
Stay safe, everyone - we have a long way to go before this is over.

23 comments:

  1. Lovely descriptive writing. Lizy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous descriptions! You made me remember why Paris is so seductive - despite (or even because of) it's seedier sides.

    Susan A Eames at
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan! Paris probably has changed out if all recognition, as it's forty years since I was there!

      Delete
  3. It will be back I'm sure, until then we have the memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if that blues club is still there!

      Delete
  4. paris had faced many challenges before such as the french revolution, world war ii and terrorist attacks as of late. no doubt it will recover after the pandemic is over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The two sides of every city. But as you say, a bit different currently.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I do believe you are right. Every big city has two sides to it. Still... I do hope to see it one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're only allowed to visit Paris if you stop off en route to see me!

      Delete
    2. Alrighty then! I'll make sure I keep you posted!

      Delete
  7. Dear Liz,

    You've captured the scents as well as the sites. Well done.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thaks Rochelle - the scents remain longer than the sights. I only have to smell a Gauloise even now...!

      Delete
  8. Very descriptive, if a little sad. But that's a part of the times. By the way, your link took me to a page connected to your blog that said there was no such page! So I clicked on "home", and there was your story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for persevering - the internet is doing weird things right now!

      Delete
  9. Wow. From one extreme to another. This is really good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The swift shift in imagery captured the way life changed for Paris during this pandemic. Seemingly overnight.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous description, Liz!
    I was there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen - maybe one day we will go again!

      Delete

Do leave a message before you go!