Pages

16.4.20

PIGEONS - a little hundred word story for Lockdown!.



PIGEONS

I bought this apartment for the view, which now is all I have – I watch neighbours I have never met, enjoying the illusion of company and talking to pigeons.
Overweight Guy is bronzed and fit after weeks of exercise.
I heard Barbecue Couple’s champagne cork pop and raised my own glass to them.

Last week food deliveries stopped. I ventured out briefly and scuttled home, but I brought back more than food. Even in this unpolluted air I cannot catch my breath.

I wonder if there will be any flesh left when they find me – pigeons will eat anything.

..................................................................................................................
I met a neighbour today who was feeling so depressed about his isolation that I had to write this story - sorry if it's not the cheery story you were anticipating. :)  I hope you are all survivng the pandemic as well as you can, and making the most of your enforced imprisonment to finish that novel?

In truth this image reminds me of the view from a friend's apartment in Tenerife, where the rooftop terraces were used for lines of washing, barbecues and even chicken coops.

Thanks to Rochelle for hostingFriday Fictioneers on her blog   https://rochellewisoff.com/  and to Roger Bultot for the photograph.

PS - Only a day since the prompt yet already I am WAY down the link page - no wonder I only get a few comments!

40 comments:

  1. Oh, that's sad!
    It's not right that being further down the page affects your comments. I look at the link page almost daily to check the new stories and I'm surprised that not everyone does that.

    Susan A Eames at
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the ame usually, Susan, though last week I got distracted.

      Delete
    2. I do as well. All the way up until the Tuesday (most times)

      Delete
    3. There are people who only blog at the laser minute. I try to comment on theirs so they don't feel downhearted!

      Delete
  2. Grizzly tale this week, Liz. I liked the pretence of a circle of friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit grim, I confess - my own mood is upbeat, believe it or not!

      Delete
  3. I guess that means the windows are left open. I think I saw a show recently, or a movie, where something like that happened. Hmmm. Can't recall it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagined him dying on his roof. I assure you I didn't steal the plot from a film!

      Delete
  4. did you buy extra toilet paper, too, just in case? hope so. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The start reminded me of 'Rear Window', the ending was a tragedy that it is sad to think is happening right now to some.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great piece, such sadness here.
    A great emotional piece.
    The scuttle out and then bringing the virus back is a scary reality.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like when people make the most of it. Generally speaking there are opportunities even during crap times.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh boy, very sad. I hope your protagonist makes it through.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Liz,

    I'm not sure when Friday Fictioneers became almost exclusively Wednesday Fictioneers. It wasn't so when I first joined but quickly changed before I took over.
    A rather bleak tale for an increasingly bleak and surreal time.

    Shalom and stay well,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was rather bleak - sorry about that! Stay well yourself X

      Delete
  10. There will be so many feel this way. You caught the feeling perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jings, this is grim stuff, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got to get it out of my system somehow!

      Delete
  12. This is a difficult time for so many. Even the normally upbeat are having moments. Let us hope it doesn't come to that for anyone!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope so. Guess I'd better try to be more cheerful next time!

      Delete
  13. It was easy to imagine all that you described. I always enjoy your stories, and I understand how you feel-- the later you submit, it seems, the fewer readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda, glad it's not just me being paranoid!

      Delete
  14. Good story, Liz. I feel the most for those who have been used to being on the go all of the time suddenly caged. I also feel for those who were shut-ins to begin with and get their few visitors cut off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone has their own challenges. My daughter is stuck in a one bed flat with a five year old, trying to work from home. Three of my family work in the NHS.

      Delete
  15. I like the way you have your MC listening to her neighbours and imagining what they're doing. Sad end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Penny. What else can we go but imagine when we're not allowed near them?

      Delete
  16. I love the way the narrator interacts with people around them without their knowing. Very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Isolation is devastating... I think we wrote from a similar viewpoint.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've had a problem getting on the site so my comment is late. What a stomach churning end, pigeons will eat anything! You paint a terrifying picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for making the effort, Michael, even if late you are very welcome!

      Delete

Do leave a message before you go!