Pages

16.5.19

WATER - a story in a hundred words


WATER

I am the sprite known as Agua.
Sucked through a pipe and imprisoned in this chlorinated hell.

Every day people invade my space, the crash of their entry vibrating through every cell in my body.

I hide in the corners to avoid their thrashing limbs, but there is no escape.

Only when they leave can I swim in the shade between their hard squares of light, longing for the tree shadows and weed-scented river of home.

One day I will drag a body under and hold it.
Perhaps then they will drain this watery prison and set me free.


....................................................................
I have always found empty swimming pools eerie, and the unidentifiable swirls in Rochelle's photograph inspired my story this week. What's more, I hit exactly a hundred words first time!
Thanks to https://rochellewisoff.com/  for hosting Friday Fictioneers tirelessly week after week, even when away in the Holy Land - hope you're having a great time, Rochelle!

35 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Neil - I am pleased the sadness came through.

      Delete
  2. Very atmospheric, Lizy. Maybe hers is the voice we hear echoing around the pool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could be, and thank you for commenting. Is that you, Wordy?

      Delete
  3. Yikes!

    Maybe someone will come in wearing one of those knitted costumes and she can soak herself into that and escape that way?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was beautifully done. My heart cries for her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely and magical, Liz - although I did feel sorry for her.

    Susan A Eames at
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, one can't help hoping she finds another way out.

      Delete
  6. Her plans's a good one. As long as it's not me...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trapped in the local pool for eternity - a new kind of hell!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A sorrowful story indeed. The pain she suffers is tangible.

    Rosey, a joke and some wine!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Keith - it's bad enough being human in an indoor swimming pool.

      Delete
  9. I like the idea of the hidden character.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your offering is mysterious and attuned to nature. Who is to say the water isn't thinking those things? Very well-written.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea--a captured sprite living in the hell of the chlorinated pool. Really good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. this story just pulled my heartstrings. well done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Poor Agua, imprisoned in a stinky chemical-filled pool and longing to swim free in fresh water. I hope she finds a way to be free someday. Magical story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brenda. Let's hope she does it without resorting to murder!

      Delete
  14. I feel for the poor waterspirit... may she be released before she has to drown someone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor creature, she's totally out of her comfort zone.

      Delete
  15. Dear Liz,

    Imprisoned in a pipe in a lap pool. That wounds like a miserable existence. Imaginative and eerie.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
  16. Poor Aqua. I hope she escapes her prison soon. I love the little picture of her. A good story and well written, Liz. :) --- Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks suzanne. The picture is from the internet, of course!

      Delete
  17. Feel sorry for that water sprite and certainly makes you think about swimming pools in a different way, even though it's fiction.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol - next time you're in a pool, check the corners!

      Delete
  18. The material and aggregation is excellent and telltale as comfortably. dissertation writing services natural pool builder spicewood tx

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!