Pages

23.4.15

TEIDE - and a TIGER - the A-Z Challenge

Teide is the name of the highest mountain in Spanish TERRITORY and it is the central point on the Canarian Island of TENERIFE.
The black and white photo was taken many years ago and the coloured one only last winter - mountains take a long time to change!
When there isn't this much snow - the Cabildo closes the roads when there is - you can drive to within a few hundred metres of the summit and take a cable car the rest of the way. We like to stop off at a barbecue area a mile above sea level to cook sausages and drink wine. 

The air is so clear that the Tenerife Observatory is world renowned.
Sometimes you can find yourselves driving through the clouds and out above them, which is like being in an aeroplane but with your feet on the ground -
- and I plan to spend a night up on the mountain watching the stars, possibly sipping champagne, before I am much older.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TOYS - Most children have cuddly toys - in fact I introduced you to my own doll in the E post of the A-Z challenge - and I have written poems about some of the toys my children and grandchildren have loved. With apologies if you've seen this one before, TODAY T is for TIGER

 TIGER

Tiger’s enormous
and covered in stripes,
if I’m tired I can ride on his back,
and I know that I’m safe
because Tiger is fierce,
so we’re never afraid of attack.

We go to the jungle
some nights when we’re dreaming,
pacing the green forest floor,
if an animal thinks
he can eat us for dinner
Tiger frightens it off with his ROAR!


10 comments:

  1. Teide looks like quite the volcano. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of that champagne! What a lovely thing to do - you have to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to do it for my birthday last year but couldn't get any volunteers to accompany me. This summer I'll go on my own if I have to, but I'm going!

      Delete
  3. Those stars are amazing, how beautiful. I'm also very taken about driving through the clouds.

    Annalisa, writing A-Z vignettes, at Wake Up, Eat, Write, Sleep

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come and join me, Annalisa - and Helen too.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful photos and i enjoyed your poem. I just dropped by from the challenge to say hello .
    Melissa Sugar
    Twitter @msugar13
    Http://fictiontoolbox.blogspot.com
    Sugarlaw13@live.com


    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely, Liz. It's been so long since I was in the Canaries - must revisit one of these days. :)

    marion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make sure you go up the mountain when you do, Marion.

      Delete
  6. Fabulous - driving through clouds! Hope you get to drink champers up a mountain before you leave. Love the poem!

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!