Pages

7.3.24

SAY IT WITH FLOWERS

 

SAY IT WITH FLOWERS

After I’d posted something controversial on 

social media the hatred and threatening

comments had spiralled out of control, so the flowers were a pleasant surprise when I got home that evening.

I didn’t recognise the scrawled signature, but I fetched a trowel and planted them in my window box, then picked up the watering can.

An unexpected odour wafted up – someone had filled it with petrol! That could have ruined all my plants, I thought, putting it down carefully. Really, this was going too far.

Then the grey box under the tap began to tick.

...................................................................................................................

Another image, another 100 word story. I have so many stored on file that I may have to make a book of them! Thanks to Rochelle for keeping all of her Friday Fictioneer flock supplied with inspiration, and to Rowena Curtin for the photograph. A friend who came to tea earlier today brought me flowers, but her intentions were purer than the giver of those in my story!

AND as it's World Book Day today, allow me to remind you that I have a slew of books for sale on Amazon.  Here's a picture of them all to nudge you into buying mode!

Or, for my local followers, a reminder that all seven of my novels can now be borrowed from the library.

...

Happy gardening!

34 comments:

  1. Yikes! Social media at its worst! Excellent writing : ) (This is granonine)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - social media is anything but social!

      Delete
  2. Bloody hell! Things are getting crazy out there!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A nicely done rising tide of threat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Yikes indeed - especially if petrol is also involved.

      Delete
  5. such is life in a society getting more polarized.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good lawd, what is wrong with people?
    Itis kinda sad that this work of fiction reads so true for many of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - people on social media get far too carried away.

      Delete
  7. Oh no! I knew there was a reason why I'm just a social media lurker. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took am a lurker - I am very careful before I make a comment.

      Delete
  8. I liked the contrast between the nice harmless items and the threat they hid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain - the image was so inoccuous that I had to do it!

      Delete
  9. I wish it were fiction, but I know about at least one case where a woman was bullied into suicide by the haters. Great story telling, Lizy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's dreadful, yet it doesnt stop them.

      Delete
  10. Sounds like a bad day going worse. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nothing would surprise me these days. Good one,

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know this is just a story (and a very good one), but it's sadly a reflection on the world we live in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is, unfortunately, but thanks for the compliment.

      Delete
  13. Oh boy. The escalation of the threat to your MC is riveting. You've shown the insidious nature of social media at its worst. Trust the human race to take a useful tool and use it to bludgeon others. Just as well there are some bright spots in the internet world - like Friday Fictioneers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Margirene - I'm grateful too for FF as a light in the darkness. Also to vss365 on X-formerly- Twitter - you might look for that too.

      Delete
  14. Dear Lizy,
    The sad and scary thing about your story is that I could see it actually happening. Nicely done.
    Shalom,
    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things these days do seem to be more extreme. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  15. Wow, spell binding story. Glad it's fiction! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yikes. I really hope this never happens in real life, but some of the posts do feel like they're looking to explode. -Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some really weird people out there.

      Delete
  17. Oh no, that's awful. Nowadays, I could see that really happening. Sad. I didn't notice the gray box. Clever!

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!