Pages

28.3.24

PLAYING THE MAN

 

PLAYING THE MAN

Back when I was just nineteen

I learned to ballroom dance;

how it came to happen

was totally by chance.

My manager’s young daughter

needed a chaperone,

so off to a dusty hall we went,

me and my plus one.

Because I was the elder girl

I had to play the man,

although I studied all the steps

a girl should know.

I can

even now dance properly,

but only if I lead –

try to steer me backwards

and I trip over my feet.

...............................................................................................

There's a lot of truth in this story, although later I did, thanks to a talented friend, learn to follow a man's lead when dancing. Since then I put more self-expression into my dancing, but even those days are over. I turned 80 a few days ago and the sight of me gyrating to modern tunes is not something I care to inflict on anyone else, but my feet still tap, and occasionally I dance, alone in my living room where nobody can see!

Thanks are due, as always, to Rochelle for hosting our group of writers on her blog,  https://rochellewisoff.com/  and to Dale Rogerson for the image which prompted this week's stories. The 'Dance Studio' in which Juliet and I had our lessons was much less colourful, resembling as it did the entrance to a sleazy dive rather than the class establishment it claimed to be.

Two photos - one of me plus family and friends enjoying a pub lunch on The Big Day. The older man is the one who taught me to dance with a man! Taken by my elder daughter who flew in from Northern Ireland to surprise me.

And one with my younger grandson who was working but came round later.

I felt very loved.

24 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it, Neil.

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday to you, Liz! Love this story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely story and what a memory! Happy birthday, I hope the family celebrations last a long time!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Jen. Celebrations run seamlessly into Easter and chocolate!

      Delete
  4. What a fun memory. I like how you've told this - one could almost dance to the rhythm of the poem. And a very happy birthday. Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday, Lizzy! What a delightful story. Dance away!
    Shalom,
    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rochelle - I only dance now if nobody is watching!

      Delete
  6. What a delightful story :) (Granonine)

    ReplyDelete
  7. happy birthday. age is just a number. keep wearing those dancing shoes, sway to your favorite tunes, and let the rhythm keep you forever young. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I intend to do as much of that as the body will allow!

      Delete
  8. A beautiful story and Happy Birthday! And you should dance wherever you like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I know, but embarrassment gets in the way!

      Delete
  9. Thanks for sharing that lovely story and photos of your lovely family. Happy belated Birthday! I love how you ended the story with tripping over your feet if led backwards.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This poem is wonderful, thank you for sharing. And I love the thought of you still dancing, if only by yourself at home. I'm often caught dancing by myself, but when it's by one of my daughters it doesn't take long for them to join in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had my granddaughter join in when it's country music - she's nine 😁

      Delete

Do leave a message before you go!