Pages

7.12.23

HOUSEPROUD

 




HOUSEPROUD

Josie was awfully proud of her home

so everyone took off their shoes

at the door, though the smell of their socks

was a downside of her houseproud rules.


After one party her guests had all gone

and she tidied the hallway, to find

that a pair of red boots with white fur round the top

had mistakenly been left behind.


Then a jolly, fat man with a big, booming voice

appeared from the garden out back:

‘I’m afraid I’ve forgotten to put on my boots

and I wonder – have you seen my sack?’

.........................................................................................

Failing inspiration for a regular story, I dashed off a ten-minute seasonal poem this week, prompted by Ted Strutz's photo - if this is his hallway, he must have a large family!

Thanks to Rochelle for hosting Friday Fictioneers, and Happy Hanukka to my friends, especially to those who celebrate it.


29 comments:

  1. I think this works perfectly well, Liz!
    Reminds me of the year my great-aunt left with my boots (too big for her), leaving me hers (too small for me)! Thankfully, she was staying overnight nearby and I was able to get them switched :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Granonine here. I loved the twist on this one, the Jolly Old Elf in person :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely done - I hope the sack was retrieved or the children will be disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was under the stairs - you can relax!

      Delete
  4. Forget the boots. He lost his sack? He's in trouble now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A sack full of gifts!
    Did the guests disperse with return gifts?! :)

    Merry Christmas in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad he followed the rules - those boots would leave soot prints all over her floors!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right - I hadn't thought of that!

      Delete
  7. Thank goodness he remembered where he'd left them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All those disappointed children - it doesn't bear thinking about!

      Delete
  8. A well-mannered Santa. Of course. Nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear LIz,

    A clever "dashed-off" poem.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rochelle - sometimes they just flow. Not often enough, naturally!

      Delete
  10. What a fun and clever poem. I bet Santa had a bit too much eggnogg.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm guessing those boots smell of sweat and reindeer. Fun spin on the image.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that you wrote a Christmas story!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This fits perfectly! I wonder if Santa takes his shoes off at my house?

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!