Pages

15.6.23

THE MEMORY IN THINGS

 

THE MEMORY IN THINGS

When we got our first flat we were skint, sleeping on a bed from Mum’s spare room. Mike found this bistro set in a skip, rubbed the rust off laboriously and painted it blue, then invited his parents round for tea. Mike and I sat on the bed!

Each time we moved, Bistro came with us. We celebrated every anniversary at that table - even chose this house because the patio was perfect.

Bistro is rusting gently into old age now, and the kids say I should buy something more comfortable, but it’s staying where it is.

Every flake of paint reminds me of Mike.

...........................................................................................

I have several things that I've kept for the memories they hold rather than for their beauty or intrinsic value - no doubt you have too. I even mended an 80-year-old Teddy for a friend, who loves him because he's been with her since birth and he's still there inside his new fur.

Thanks as always are due to Rochelle, our hostess, and to Rowena Curtin for the photo that prompts this week's rash of short fiction from Friday Fictioneers.


24 comments:

  1. The power of our memories' talismans defies all logic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bistro's going nowhere! The tales it could tell...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it wasn't new when they got it!

      Delete
  3. Things hold so many memories, would a new bistro set really be more comfortable for her, or only for the kids?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably not, and in fact those wooden seats look more inviting than modern ones.

      Delete
  4. A sweet tale. Kids just never understand.
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps they will when she tells them?

      Delete
  5. This is just beautiful. What a memory!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh, I can't post my name today for some reason. This is just beautiful. What a memory. Solothefirst (Laurie)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you again. The mechanics of the internet escape me too, so I can't explain it to you!

      Delete
  7. Lovely story, ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seems as if you've been rummaging about in my basement. SO many things kept for memories alone. Great write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee! Fortunately I don't have a basement. I do have a dodll from when i was born, though!

      Delete
  9. Sweet story and even sweeter afterword.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww,,,I love this. <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this! So sweet. Yes, the things we hang on to are often out of sentimental value. I like the way you told a tale through the years of their marriage through the bistro set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder sometimes what my children will do with my collection of oddments!

      Delete
  12. Dear Liz,

    How sweet. I do hold onto things that hold memories.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rochelle, I'm surprised you have room, with all your artwork!

      Delete

Do leave a message before you go!