Pages

18.11.21

NOT SUCH A BARGAIN

 

NOT SUCH A BARGAIN

 We were thrilled finally to find a house we could afford and moved in to start renovating.

 Months passed in a flurry of buying and doing up second-hand furniture. The house was permanently full of the smell of paint so we spent most of that summer outside.

 Come autumn, though, the evenings grew chilly, and we lit our first fire. We only found the window when the log-pile diminished.

 We tracked down the basement door inside the hall cupboard. When we opened it we discovered why the house had been such a bargain.

.......................................................................

A really quick story this week, as it's my mother's 97th birthday and I'm collecting her in an hour to take her for lunch at my brother's house. Happy birthday, Mum XX

Thanks to Dale, photographer extraordinaire, for the picture of her log-pile, which I am sure hides no dark secrets apart from the occasional spider.


24 comments:

  1. Now you've got us wondering! I hope you all had a lovely lunch

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a buyer's remorse. what are they going to do now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clear the cellar and keep quiet? Call the police? You choose!

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday to your Mum!
    And, oh hell no!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mum had a great time.
      And I hope you know what's in you cellar?

      Delete
  4. There you go. There are no good deals. Well told.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it looks too good to be true, itt probably is.

      Delete
  5. Dear Liz,

    I shudder to think what they found. Happy birthday to your mum. How lucky you are to still have her.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did wonder where people's imaginations would take them!

      Delete
  6. Eek. I think I know what was in the closet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great. Get the corpse removed, clean the basement and have plenty of space for a bargain price. If it's not a corpse but full of giant spiders: run!
    Fun story, I love it. And happy birthday to your mum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly - a practical person after my own heart. After all, they didn't do it, did they?

      Delete
  8. Aha.......the mystery deepens...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting. Ain. I read tours but couldn't comment - WordPress is tricky like that

      Delete
  9. That was an excellent last line!! Love it. Happy birthday to your mum. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brenda! Some people wanted the story to continue but I like it the way it is too!

      Delete
  10. Happy 97th birthday! And, now I have so many questions about what's in the basement, really. Great story.
    Anne from annehiga.com

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!