Pages

10.2.21

JUNGLE RIDE - A Story in 100 words

 JUNGLE  RIDE

“Mum, can we go on the Jungle ride?”

The painted scenery was full of smiling monkeys, bright parrots and unlikely flowers, the carriages child-sized. Not one of those rides where she’d have to hold their hands and pretend she wasn’t scared too. Belinda paid the man, waved them through the palm-frond curtain, and went to buy a latte.

She was only gone two minutes, but when she returned the ride was shut and silent, the carriages empty. She read the notice pinned to the scenery.

Jungle Drop

No responsibility taken for any loss.

Then she heard the roar.

.................................................................................................

A mother's nightmare - sorry! This week's story is pure fiction, prompted by Alicia Jamtoas' photograph on Rochelle's blog  https://rochellewisoff.com/

Have you noticed how we have nothing to talk about at the moment? Once the usual questions are done - 'Are you well?' and 'Have you had your jab?' - the conversation falters. Not surprising really, as nothing else is happening. We can't make plans, even to join friends for a coffee or a beer. Holidays are off the cards too, unless one is prepared to endure ten days in an airport hotel when coming home. So we hunker down, wrap up against the bitter cold, read, eat and watch TV. 

Those of us who write can escape into the worlds we create, and if you fancy a trip to my imaginary world, the last book in my Living Rock series is out on Amazon - click on the cover image at the top of this page to access it, and the first three books as well.



38 comments:

  1. Oh no! What have you done with them, Lizy?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Wasn't expecting that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I imagine that ride's insurance bill must be hefty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They posted a disclaimer - not their fault if the parents don't read it!

      Delete
  4. I imagine that ride's insurance bill must be hefty

    ReplyDelete
  5. A mother's nightmare! You turn your back for one seemingly innocuous moment (or ride) and disaster. Well told, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dora. We should never let them out of our sight till they're at least twenty!

      Delete
  6. Reminds me of Ray Bradbury's The Veldt, Liz.
    Grim stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that one I should read, or will it keep me awake at night?

      Delete
  7. Good one Liz, a parent's nightmare indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain. I've no idea why I write such stories - if it came on TV I'd turn it off!

      Delete
  8. Just when I was thinking I'd like that ride, you hit us with that alarming ending!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Liz,

    Sadly those nightmares do come true. Waiting for my jab here.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waiting for your jab? Right now while you're writing, or still waiting for the call?

      Delete
  10. Oh dear! That did not go as expected!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shouldn't write stuff like this - I can't get that poor mother out of my head now.

      Delete
  11. A shock ending, for sure. I think Mama wishes she were dead, too, right then.

    ReplyDelete
  12. sadly, disaster can strike at any moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although one doesn't expect a children's ride to be predatory.

      Delete
  13. Oh no, she was lulled into complacency. A child's ride afterall. A nightmare for sure, but so well written.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Relief turns to horror on the spot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Horror is right - will she ever find them??

      Delete
  15. I can't get her out of my head, the poor woman. Like you say, a nightmare for any Mom who's left her kids for a moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yet we have to allow them a little independence - it's a fine balance.

      Delete
  16. LOL wow I see what mood you're in this week! :D Good one.
    Ronda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee! If I wrote what I'm really feeling at times, I'd be arrested!

      Delete
  17. Yikes! I feel panic setting in.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lizy, the above message is from me, Alicia Jamtaas. Couldn't get my WordPress URL to come up.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Alicia, I'm using blogspot, not WordPress.

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!