Pages

27.1.21

LATE HOME

 LATE HOME

I’d missed the train, and ran out of our home station knowing I’d be in trouble for keeping supper waiting. The streets were oddly quiet, but it was only when I found home deserted that I began to panic.

I ran round all the neighbours looking for my parents, banging on doors, peering through windows, but the whole town was deathly silent. Not a television blared, not a child cried – when a cat rubbed my shin I almost screamed.

I found them all in the synagogue. Whoever did this left a water bottle – enough DNA to track them down.

...........................................................

Marie Gail Stratford took this week's photograph, and as today is Holocaust Memorial Day, I think it's a picture of a synagogue. Never having been inside one, I apologise if I've guessed wrong. Thanks to Rochelle for hosting on Friday Fictioneers on her blog. https://rochellewisoff.com/

This week I have reached the end of a rewrite cum edit of my next novel. Although it can stand alone, it is also a sequel to HELTER-SKELTER, which I published four years ago, and is still available on Amazon. 

Now would be a good time to read HELTER-SKELTER and get acquainted with Albie, a 12-year-old street kid searching for his gypsy father. The link is here -

Helter-Skelter: Amazon.co.uk: Elizabeth Young: 9781717344755: Books

28 comments:

  1. That would make a great beginning for a longer story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never attempted a detective story!

      Delete
  2. Agree with Neil – a powerful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A terrifying scenario. Not sure if it was a blessing or a curse that she was late and therefore left alone as the only survivor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy Moly Liz! That was a horrible end! Rang very true!
    -Justjoyfulness

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Liz,

    It's interesting that at least two so far have seen this picture as a synagogue. Intriguing storyline.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, so I was wrong? The conjunction of the date, the wooden rail and your story led me astray.
      And I almost didn't write anything this week for fear of offending by assuming the interior photo was of something other than a synagogue!

      Delete
  6. You left me wanting more Liz. A chilling piece indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps I should try a detective story after all!

      Delete
  7. And the adventure begins! What a great start to a mystery, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a suspicion this will stick in my head till I write some more!

      Delete
  8. i assume she found them all dead?

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was very dramatic opening. I think I may remember that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandra - perhaps one day I'll write the rest of the story!

      Delete
  10. What an experience that would be... and as others have said, it sounds like the beginning of a novel. I was thinking not so much a detective story as an adventure in frustration and impatience as the cogs of justice grind too slow for victims and survivors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that sounds às if you have personal experience of it?

      Delete
  11. I'm assuming this was set in WWII, and the people in the synagogue were Jews hiding from the Nazis? Anyway, it would make a great opener for a longer story, which would follow up on that DNA. Which I guess would remove the story from WWII since DNA had not been discovered yet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got the reference to Jews right, but more modern, with water in plastic bottles and DNA.

      Delete
  12. Everyone's worse nightmare!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, not just your family but the whole town!

      Delete
  13. I'm glad the MC found out where everyone went.

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!