Pages

9.9.20

NOT OPEN - a story in 44 words.

 

NOT OPEN


“How much did you take today, Joe?”

“Nothing, Ma – ain’t seen a customer all day.”

“What – not one?”

“Nope – can’t understand it – I made a new card for the door, an’ all.”

“Oh Joe! Your dyslexia will be the death of me!”

 

.......................................................................

With apologies to anyone who suffers from dyslexia - a condition that can impact on all aspects of life.

This week's short story is REALLY short because I couldn't see any way to pad it out without losing the impact of my first draft. To read stories of twice the length written by other Friday Fictioneers and prompted by Rochelle's photo, go to her blog at  https://rochellewisoff.com/

MEANWHILE - may I remind you that the fourth and final book in my LIVING ROCK series, ROCK FESTIVAL, is now available on Amazon, along with the first three - A VOLCANIC RACE, WOLF PACK & LANDSLIDE.  To read an extract, scroll down to my blog dated 28th August. And then buy a copy, read it, enjoy it and LEAVE A REVIEW!! PLEASE!!


47 comments:

  1. What a brilliant interpretation of the sign1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil - my crossword anagram brain took over!

      Delete
  2. Funny and sad, Liz, and very clever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is rather sad, I'm afraid - hope I didn't offend anyone.

      Delete
  3. Dear Liz,

    This made me laugh out loud! When I saw that sign on the door, I had to snap it. ;) You did it justice.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rochelle - I can just imagine the shopkeeper's state of mind when he;she wrote that!

      Delete
  4. What a lovely take on the prompt, Liz. And congratulations on publishing your book. Did you self-publish?
    -Justjoyfulness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, self-published - I do hope people buy it!

      Delete
  5. It took me a minute to realize that there is a block on the last letter of the sign (The last letter being another "N", so it can quickly be changed from nope(n) to (n)open. Given my dyslexia, I'm sure I would have made the same sign as Joe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandson has a formof dyslexia which makes such situations difficult for him too. Thanks for not tearing me off a strip, Trent X

      Delete
  6. Clever take on the prompt, Liz. And it was just the right length.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thaks Sandra - sometimes you have to know when to stop.

      Delete
  7. Liz, this is brilliant. I never saw the possibility of dyslexia, just the sparse vocabulary of this proprietor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amusing and clever, and I'm sure the dyslexic community would see the funny side too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Iain, I hope they see the funny side of it too.

      Delete
  9. Liz, I love your clever take! Joe will have to leave the sign-making to his Ma if they want that store to stay open :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She'd certainly because to check on him more often!

      Delete
  10. Short, sweet, and crisp, just like I like my apples. Good one, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  11. it's funny as it gets. well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent. So short and perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your story makes its point in few words. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wonder what it says when he spins it round at closing time! Excellent Liz.

    Here's mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a puzzle for another day! Thanks Keith!

      Delete
  15. Ha! Ha! That was fun And congratulations on publishing your book.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Short but conveys the story well.
    Dyslexia means loss of customers too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately you are right. His mother will have to ban him from writing notices!

      Delete
  17. Guess they should divide the duties. Everyone has their own gifts. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How true. Thanks for commenting, Brenda.

      Delete
  18. Hope... it should say hope.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very clever take on the prompt, Liz :)

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!