Pages

16.7.20

PASS THE PARCEL - a story in 100 words


PASS THE PARCEL

When the social worker put Josie into my arms she was a silent, smelly little bundle – a two-year-old weighing less than our Christmas turkey. A life of being passed like a parcel between a drug-addict mother and a series of careless minders had almost killed her.

She slept in my bed that night and for months afterwards, gradually emerging from her shell, shrinking back when her feckless mother dropped in, but we fought off the woman’s attempts to reclaim her.

Now she's about to marry Martin – if he doesn’t treat her right he’ll have me to answer to.
................................................................................................
You don't have to be a birth mother to be fiercely protective, as I learned in my earlier life a a foster mother. Even some of my own children's friends became very dear to me.
Thanks to Rochelle for hosting Friday Fictioneers on her blog   https://rochellewisoff.com/  and to Jean L Hays for the photograph.

29 comments:

  1. Handing her over to Martin may not be a good ida

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagined this as a wedding - obviously you read something different!

      Delete
  2. I hope Martin knows what he is doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he loves Josie enough to help her lead a full and happy life.

      Delete
  3. Lovely story. I'm not a birth mother, but I am a stepmother. My stepson is 26 now and living hundreds of miles away with his partner - but I still worry about him every day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't worry about mine all the time, but they are always in my thoughts.

      Delete
  4. Sad but heartwarming. We do not need to be the birth mother to care about the child! Nicely done, Lizy.

    Susan A Eames at
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

    ReplyDelete
  5. You were her angel and you always will be. Beautiful story, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed this and, as a mom, identified! Great take on the prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Entirely understandable. Nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was a beautiful story, Liz. Finally, she found a loving home...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you! If he doesn't treat her right, drop me a line and I'll come over to help you ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to know I have you on my side, Na'ama!

      Delete
  10. Dear Liz,

    Beautiful story. Josie is fortunate to have you in her corner.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
  11. here's hoping for the best... :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Josie is really fortunate. Lovely story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a tender story which perfectly captures a mother's love.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A happily-ever-after is definitely in their future :). Great story.

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!