Pages

14.5.20

HATS - a rant for these times.

I could rant about many things at the moment, including the overuse of words such as 'unprecedented', 'challenging' and 'iconic', but enough people are doing that already, and I don't like talking politics online.
Jan Wayned Fields' photo which Rochelle posted on her blog  https://rochellewisoff.com/2020/05/13/15-may-2020/hats/  for Friday Fictioneers this week didn't excite my fiction-writing head at all, possibly because it's already full of the book I am in the throes of editing.
So instead you've got this rant, which I know resonates with many of my friends in a similar situation. If you're young and free, enjoy it!  .............................................................

HATS

I have worn many different hats in my lifetime.
Daughter, then student, followed by years as a bank clerk, in the days when we counted banknotes by hand, computers filled a room, and deposit ledgers weighed a ton.
Happily I donned the various hats of a mother – cook, chauffeuse, nurse, gardener, teacher, decorator and seamstress until, eventually, I was a grandmother and retired.

But now they want to force me into another hat, with the words writ large – ELDERLY, VULNERABLE, PRISONER.

That hat won’t fit.

32 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Neil - I hpe I don't have to eat my words in the weeks and months to come!

      Delete
  2. It's a tough time, but better to be safe and take heed of advice. Hopefully there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Safe, yes, but how about relying on our common sense?

      Delete
  3. Difficult times. I can appreciate your frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's hard to tolerate labels that aren't self imposed, isn't it?

    Susan A Eames at
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very apt for these times and poignant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suddenly the world feels ageist, and I don't like it!

      Delete
  6. Dear Liz,

    We've all worn those hats, haven't we? I do remember when computers filled a room. Who'd believe we'd be carrying them around in the form of a smartphone? Well done.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rochelle - the younger generations don't know how lucky they are!

      Delete
  7. No need for that hat!! Don't let them force you to wear it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall rely on common sense, of which I have a lot more than some of the younger people who have been partying regardless of lockdown.

      Delete
  8. You don't have to accept and therefore be defined by their hats. Keep on being you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. a life well-lived indeed. but still more miles to go before you sleep. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You may have all of the common sense in the world, but it's a rare commodity these days. You know how you drive defensively? Now you have to live defensively.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How true - walking away from people rather than towards them has become normal.

      Delete
  11. Good for you - standing strong! Yes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doodle - yet there are some people telling me I'm beging foolish / selfish / blinkered. And the advice is contradictiory - stay in, exercise, avoid all social contact / remain sane!!

      Delete
  12. Grandma..or in my case Nana, is my favorite hat by far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with that - I'm Nanny, and have been since my husband became Grandad 26 years ago.

      Delete
  13. Roam safely! And wear the hat you feel best in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still staying safe, just not indoors all the tiem.

      Delete
  14. It should not fit. You are not a prisoner. Even if one might be more vulnerable, or more at risk, it does not make them weaker. Stand strong. Do what is right to protect yourself and your loved ones. But you are not imprisoned. You are you. Stay well! Waving to you from NYC, where we're pretty much still under 'stay-at-home' ... Not prisoners, but collaborators in keeping this big metropolis as safe as it can be till we figure this thing out a bit more. ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in a village - a small communtiy where itis easier to keep my distance from other people, which is what 'staying safe' is all about. It must be so much more difficult in a city.

      Delete
  15. Your post took me at break-neck speed through the incredible changes of life over the last 70+ years. Excellent. And I love your last line. I refuse to accept that hat, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good for you. Never let anybody else tell you how to act or who to be. Though we're all kind of prisoners right now.

    It's funny. I recently had a conversation with a friend about all the things we've done and want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  17. And have you made a list for after the virus?

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!