Pages

23.10.19

FIFTY-ODD YEARS AGO - 100 words prompted by a photograph



FIFTY-ODD YEARS AGO
Back then The Pill was only available to married women, and I wasn’t married, so my first visit to the ante-natal clinic was fraught with embarrassment. When the nurse said I would miscarry unless I had hormone injections, and suggested it might solve my problem, I was reduced to tears. My boyfriend and I wanted this baby, I told her.
I was injected so often my backside resembled a pincushion, and despite the stress our baby flourished.
We had four children in all, with injections each time, and they are worth every blunt needle.
.....................................................................................................................
Fact this week instead of fiction - once I spotted that pincushion I couldn't think of a different story. Those children have given me five grandchildren now, and I consider myself very fortunate to have all of them.
Thanks to Rochelle for hosting Friday Fictioneers and to Jean L Hays for the photograph.




34 comments:

  1. Amazing what triggers a memory, Liz. Great use of the prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Worth every pin prick! Lovely story Liz, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just wonderful, Liz. I love watching your family pictures on Facebook. Brilliant use of the prompt.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rochelle, I was hesitant about using fact when we're fictioneers!

      Delete
  4. What a unqiue take on the prompt, Lizy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some details never fade. Thank you for sharing this 'story' with a happy ending, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Lizy - what a beautiful story. You brought tears to my eyes when I realised it was your true story.

    Susan A Eames at
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic. I'll remember this story, and well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandra. I didn't anticipate such a response to a bit of my history.

      Delete
  8. Who needs fiction when you have a tale such as this to tell!

    Here's my story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Keith, though I thought it was fairly typical of my era, clearly I was mistaken!

      Delete
  9. A beautiful take on this pin cushiony prompt :) Congratulations on your lovely family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful piece of memoir... and so great to have such a great family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely tale, a bottom like a pin cushion I like!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing your beautiful story, painful backside and all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ouch ! What a beautiful family though so well worth the pain but... ouch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even remembering, those thick hormone injections still hurt!

      Delete
  14. What a heart-warming story, Liz. You had the pain of delivery PLUS. I love the picture of you with your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jade. Having paid my dues in advance, the deliveries were easy!

      Delete

Do leave a message before you go!