Pages

2.8.19

FLYING VISIT - 100 word story

FLYING VISIT


Jake dropped the bombshell at suppertime. “Mum’s coming tomorrow for tea.”
“Tomorrow?” Alice squeaked, “I’ll never be ready in time!”
“Calm down,” Jake laughed, “It’s only a flying visit.”

Alice spent all evening cleaning, and in the morning she put out fresh towels, baked a cake, and weeded the garden. She was exhausted by the time Daphne arrived.

The cake was a success, and all went well until Daphne was leaving.
“I’ll just pop to the little girls’ room first,” she trilled, and Alice watched helplessly as her mother-in-law ran a finger along the top of the door.

...............................................................................................
I know nothing about seaplanes, apart from the fact that my husband has always wanted to fly in one, so Ted Strutz's photo took me in an entirely different direction. Thanks as always to Rochelle for hosting Friday Fictioneers on her blog.   https://rochellewisoff.com/2019/07/31/2-august-2019/ted-strutz-plane/



I only just caught the Friday Fictioneers plane myself this week, as I have been away for a few days with my mother, who is 94. She walks so slowly with her two sticks that we hired a mobility scooter, and one afternoon while she had her nap I took it for a spin myself. It was fun, but also an interesting experiment being a person in a wheelchair. Some peole moved politely out of the way, others completely ignored me! This is Mum bowling along Eastbourne seafront in a howling gale.




And for sheer over-the-top ostentatious decor, check out the interior of the Victorian Tea Room on the pier!

15 comments:

  1. Ah, mother-in-laws! There's no pleasing them! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a mother in law, and I hope I'm a nice one!

      Delete
  2. Dear Liz,

    Visits from inlaws can cause such undue stress. You've captured the feeling well.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rochelle, my first MIL was just as judgemental,

      Delete
  3. There is a reason that mothers-in-law often get a bad rap. Because they can be nasty b*tches!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My paternal grandmother did that to my mother, a few weeks after the birth of my sister. She's never forgotten or forgiven her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should think not. I have a stash of MIL memories I can use in my writing, nnobe of them good.

      Delete
  5. Oh no! Poor Alice. Loved this take on the photo prompt.

    Susan A Eames at
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Alice indeed, and there's nothing she could do!

      Delete
  6. Sneak attack! Some people can't be pleased. Alice needs to just do as she will and not let the old bat get to her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We were selling a house once and I just hated to see a prospective buyer run their hand over something. Some people just go to see houses without even planning to buy. It seems to be a hobby for some. A good story and well written, Liz. ---- Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have heard that some people treat viewing as a day out. Totally inconsiderate of the owners feelings.

      Delete

Do leave a message before you go!