Pages

16.1.19

ROAST POTATOES - a story in 100 words


ROAST POTATOES

It wasn’t even a proper fight – he said his mother’s roast potatoes were crisper than mine, I said he could go home to his mother any time he liked, he slammed out of the house, I tried to stop him, and my hand went through the glass door.
Blood spurted everywhere, and before the ambulance got here I’d bled half to death.

Then the police got involved, accusing him of attempted murder, and when I said I’d done it myself they assumed I’d tried to commit suicide.

How can I tell a shrink it was caused by roast potatoes?
..........................................................................
This week's Friday Fictioneers' prompt photo was taken by Dale Rogerson, and I hope the reason for her broken door wasn't as dramatic as mine. I wrote this story, tweaked it down to 100 words and posted it, in ten minutes flat, so I hope you like it. 
Thanks as ever to Rochelle for hosting our goup of flash fiction enthusiasts on her blog  https://rochellewisoff.com .

I have been busy this week promoting my latest book, Wolf Pack , which you can buy by clicking on the cover image at the top of this page. If everyone who reads my flash fiction buys a copy of my book - and leaves a review - I shall be a happy writer. 
Those who have read it say it's my best so far - why not try it for yourself and see if you agree? Please?

43 comments:

  1. Could say it was caused by his obsession with his mother – don't shrinks like that kind of thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They love anything to do with mothers.

      Delete
  2. Brilliant, Liz!
    How things get blow out of proportion...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't they just! And have you mended that door yet?

      Delete
    2. Nope. Will cost too much. So I removed it from its hinges and am shopping for a new one... sigh...

      Delete
  3. Ha ha - well talk about things escalating out of proportion! I'd love to read the sequel. :)

    Susan A Eames at
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You think there should be a sequel? Or are you referring to my books?

      Delete
  4. Funny and sad at the same time - nice take on the photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks jennifer, for getting it from both angles.

      Delete
  5. Roast Potatoes... will the jury believe that as an alibi?! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nope. Nobody's going to believe roast potatoes. There are just some things that happen that are so improbable they defy plausible transmission

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! A delightful take on the prompt. And the explanation is so truly bizarre, they'll all get a pass.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mum's roast potatoes did all that?! and the policemen making up their own story! Crazy story; I love it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Comparing her cooking with his mum's was never going to end well.

      Delete
  9. Freak accidents happen, but who would believe them. Fun read, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hah! That's the way it goes though. Nice one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silly little fights can end in disaster.

      Delete
  11. It's all tumbling out of control! Nice one :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is rather, isn't it? Thanks Alastair.

      Delete
  12. I love the last line. It all started with roast potatoes. I'm sure the authorities have heard it all and more. Great storytelling!

    ReplyDelete
  13. he could be an italian. somebody told me that the best flattery an italian husband could give to his wife is to tell her she cooks as well as his mother. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Italian mothers have a lot to answer for!

      Delete
  14. Dear Liz,

    That is overreaction with a capital O. Well done. Mine was a ten minute write as well. ;)

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rochelle, sometimes the words just come. Pity that doesn't happen with an entire novel!

      Delete
  15. Well, in truth ... it was not ... but perhaps by all that the roasted potatoes (crisp or not) brought up ... Perhaps a shrink is overdue? ;)
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A marriage counsellor would be more appropriate.

      Delete
  16. Replies
    1. Unfortunately my OH actually prefers Bisto - clearly he led a deprived childhood!

      Delete
  17. My kids managed to smash a door between them when they were young and came up with a story which I didn't believe but chose to let them get away with. I've learnt the truth since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes you have to admire their ingenuity .

      Delete
  18. Never fear, they've heard everything.. Very clever tale!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think it's better to tell them just like it was...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And hope they let them off when they've finished laughing.

      Delete
  20. Good one! I've heard sillier arguments in my counseling office, believe me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I believe you, Linda - I've had sillier ones myself!

      Delete
  21. Wow...what a snowball effect!

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!