Pages

19.12.18

ADVENT CALENDAR DAY 19 - ONLY WORN ONCE - a story in 100 words


Today I am combining my Advent Calendar with my weekly Friday Fctioneers' flash fiction.
The Advent challenge was to write a story, changing it as it progresses so that the ending is a surprise even to oneself. I suspect the lovely people who set these challenges have twisted minds!
SO - as the FF photo was first published five years ago, I have resurrected the story I wrote then, and changed it. Several times. I was thinking of making it a murder but it didn't turn out that way!

ONLY  WORN  ONCE

He removed the wrapping paper. "They're great - the right size, too," but he couldn't hide his disappointment. 
She smiled with relief - she couldn't afford the Berghaus boots he'd wanted. "You can wear them on holiday.”

As he expected, the boots rubbed, and halfway through their first hike he removed them, claiming his feet needed to breathe.
"Look at the view," she said.
"Never mind the view - I need a leak,” he said and vaulted over the wall. Not surprisingly, the hundred-foot drop killed him.
She coped well with the shock, finishing her holiday by the pool. 

When she arrived home she sold the boots on Ebay – ‘Only worn once’.
..........................................................................................
Thanks to Rochelle for hosting Friday Fictioneers on her blog  https://rochellewisoff.com/  and to Adam Ickes for the photo of the boots. Looking back through my archives, I think the original of my story may even have been my very first stab at FF.
As our next photo prompt isn't due until December 26th, I will take this opportunity to wish all my readers a very Happy Christmas, and to remind you that a book makes a wonderful gift, to give to someone or to keep. My latest book WOLF PACK is now out on Amazon in print and ebook - you can find it by clicking on the book cover at the top of my page. WOLF PACK is the second in my Living Rock series, the first of which was A Volcanic Race.

41 comments:

  1. Dear Liz,

    Something tells me she had that planned all along.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whether she could have planned that particular outcome is doubtful, but she had something in mind...as did I, but it didn't turn out that way!

      Delete
  2. Excellent!

    Wife has a lot of commonsense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, he won the Darwin Award. She can do better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She realised that generosity wouldn't get her what she wanted. Good story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Something sinister here, "She finished her holiday by the pool."

    ReplyDelete
  6. She took that all too well, methinks. Rather cold broad, I'd say...

    ReplyDelete
  7. She did well out of that - her freedom and a few quid in her pocket ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did, though how much do second hand boots go for these days?

      Delete
  8. Leaving his shoes behind before jumping to death. He must have had feeling left for his friend. At least she made some money out of the shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He didn't know there was such a drop! His death was an accident.

      Delete
  9. A lovely and gentler spoof on the original "baby shoes - never worn" flash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That hadn't occurred to me till you mentioned it!

      Delete
  10. Is it wrong that I smiled at the image of him vaulting over a wall and finding empty space on the other side? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all - I'm glad you share my twisted sense of humour!

      Delete
  11. Oh, that's cold! It's almost as if she set him up, because she sure didn't seem to miss him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess she'd have dumped him if he hadn't saved her the bother. 😁

      Delete
  12. This really happens in San Francisco more often than you'd think!! Excellent comedic take on a debilitatingly bad choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What happens? People jumping to their deaths inadvertently?

      Delete
  13. LOL. Pays the ungrateful wretch right. The pool sounds much more inviting. Enjoyed your story Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks irene. I'd prefer the pool too.

      Delete
  14. She took that well! Am I smelling something fishy here? Bad quality boots killed him in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well I guess that was the last leak he ever took.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That packed a punch. I didn't see that coming, nor did he! What fun.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Something tells me that no love was lost.

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!