Pages

4.10.18

SHELL GAME - a story in a hundred words


SHELL GAME

Dave was out there as usual this morning in his car, waiting to follow me.
I did my normal Tuesday shop then met the girls for coffee, and while the babies played we went over the plan meticulously – we would only get one chance.

After an hour Sally left wearing my clothes, with her shopping in my buggy, Rene tucked my baby in with hers and walked off to the Mall, while I jogged across the park, my face hidden in Sally’s hoodie.

That evening we celebrated in the Refuge – Dave is no match for three women playing the shell game.
...............................................................................................
Here we are again, another week, another raft of stories courtesy of Rochelle at   https://rochellewisoff.com/  who manages our group of writers, and thanks to Sandra Crook who took the photograph.
For any reader who doesn't understand my reference, the shell game is a sleight of hand trick played with three conical shells and a pea, similar to Find the Lady.
Local Author Fair - and if anyone is in Crawley on Saturday 13th OCtober, come and visit my stall at the Library (opposite Debenhams) where I shall be giving away more of my flash fiction.

39 comments:

  1. What an interesting interpretation, Lizy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen - I think! And you're always first to comment :)

      Delete
  2. Now this prompts a lot of questions! Why is Dave tailing her? Seems he is right that she is up to something, but where is she off to? Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's stalking her, which is why she has to get away to a women's refuge.

      Delete
  3. Seeing a shell game in the prompt was great

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Liz,

    We used the same title but our stories were very different. Clever women.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did wonder when I saw your title! But all was well 😁

      Delete
  5. I wonder what Dave's face looked like when he found out he'd been duped haha. I enjoyed the pun in the title as well! Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Outfoxed Dave, this time! What is the guarantee that he will not find you and follow you again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In this life there are no guarantees, especially with predators like Dave.

      Delete
  7. Well done for squeezing this game of subterfuge into 100 words. Nicely done, I really enjoyed this and am glad she's escaped Dave's clutches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting - glad you enjpyed it!

      Delete
  8. Brilliantly done, Liz.
    Now that's a shell game that is a worthy one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dale. Any game that outwits a stalker is a good one.

      Delete
  9. Well done ladies, Dave is no match at all, but to a refuge, he must be a very bad man

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully the refuge is just the first step.

      Delete
  10. that's women's power for you. men are smart, but women are smarter. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Precisely. Thanks for commenting, plaridel.

      Delete
  11. A lot of story in one hundred words. The women's supportive bond showed clearly, Jilly, Sugar on the Bee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Women should always be that supportive.

      Delete
  12. Intriguing, intricate planning. Dave must have been a really bad guy. And now he's a really frustrated bady guy :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh... I'm happy that they succeeded but at the end I feel sorrow that they had to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bjorn - you're right, they shouldn't have had to duck and dive to evade Dave.

      Delete
  14. Great reason to play the game. Hope he doesn't catch up to her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As it's my story, I'll make sure he doesn't!

      Delete
  15. Ah, I thought about the shell game but you did it up royally! Great take!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha, I can imagine Dave (who sounds a bit creepy) getting more and more confused :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful use of the prompt, Liz. I hope the ruse works and that she's finally free of him. A clever tale

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice to know there's fun to be had even in such a desperate situation. I must confess, I feared for the safe return of her friend, Sally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I think Sally is a resourceful woman. Thanks for commenting, sandra.

      Delete
  19. I don't think the seriousness of this "game" can be comprehended on a first read.
    I'm glad i read it again.

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!