Pages

8.6.16

PACKING - a story in 100 words

Rochelle, the seemingly tireless leader of Friday Fictioneers is relaxing for the summer weeks by posting previously used photo prompts on her blog.  https://rochellewisofffields.wordpress.com/ This photo taken by Douglas M MacIlray is the first picture for which I have already written a story, but you're not getting that - for one thing I can't remember what I wrote before!
Besides, the new story below is more topical, as my daughter and son-in-law are in the throes of packing to move from Tenerife to Northern Ireland. This story is for them. 

PACKING

Mandy was emptying the top of the wardrobe when something coiled around her wrist. Startled, she yanked her hand back, but it was only a flex.
“Alan! I’ve found that drill!” she yelled and tugged at the flex. The drill shot free suddenly and just missed Mandy’s shoulder, pulling her off balance. Instinctively she clutched the nearest shelf and toppled backwards with the wardrobe on top of her. Unhurt but smothered by clothes, she yelled again. “Alan! I need help!”
But Alan had found another forgotten treasure, and it’s impossible to hear anything with your head inside a diving helmet.


25 comments:

  1. Great story, Liz. A perfectly realised domestic scene. I love how we all come up with such different ideas from the same prompts - fantastic. Great story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynn - and many of us have written two different stories from the same prompt! Wish I could remember what my previous one was, but I'd have to scroll through all my flash fiction to find it!

      Delete
  2. Ha.. i just wonder if there will be paytime afterwards... cleaning out can be dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They've had a word or two already!

      Delete
  3. Ha ha - like your interpretation of that photo, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks susan, it rings a bell witth some of us!

      Delete
  4. ... a little snippet of real life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. :) Alan was no doubt listening to the sounds of the sea. I could see this being played out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finding a treasure after forgetting it is always enthralling.

      Delete
  6. Dear Liz,

    Ah moving. I've never moved across the world. Across town was daunting enough. Cute story and so true to life.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mandy and Alan have just four weeks left to pack twenty-five years worth of belongnngs - there will be many moments like this one.
      I know, because we did the same last year!

      Delete
  7. Brilliant mum! So like us; although, luckily we only get lost in photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AND IT'S ALSO LUCKY THAT YOU DON'T HAVE A DIBING HELMET! xx

      Delete
  8. I've only lived abroad for a bit over four years but can relate to the packing and stress to get everything clean and ready before departure. Great story, very funny. Your daughter and son-in-law have my sympathies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They'll have your envy when they've renovated their new home in Ireland!

      Delete
  9. Haha..they need to stop goofing off and get back to work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed - though they assure me they're working hard at it!

      Delete
  10. i guess alan would be sleeping on the couch tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL I can just see that happening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - it's the 'OMG! So that's where I put it' syndrome!

      Delete
    2. Yes - it's the 'OMG! So that's where I put it' syndrome!

      Delete
  12. LOL. I wonder how long she'll spend under the wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!