Pages

5.6.15

ANDROMEDA - a 100 word story

Friday Fictioneers is hosted by Rochelle who sends the members a photo prompt each week on her blog  https://rochellewisofffields.wordpress.com/   Follow the Blue Frog link on her blog to read the other stories..

ANDROMEDA  (or The Long Goodbye)

Celia decided to leave Henry on July 23rd 1993, the twins’ third birthday. She caught him in a clinch with Daphne Mortimer in the summerhouse when he should have been blowing up balloons.
After consideration, and believing her children deserved a stable home, she put her decision on hold and accepted Henry’s apologetic diamonds gracefully.
Each subsequent affaire earned her another rock, which for twenty years eased the chafing of her self-imposed bondage.
What broke the final link in the chain was catching Henry in flagrante in the hayloft –  with the groom she had hired specifically for her own amusement..

 ......................................................................................................
Please do leave a comment below, and feel free to browse back through my earlier posts including the daily stints through April for the A-Z Challenge. Oh yes - and my APARTMENT page if you fancy buying your own place in the sun!

28 comments:

  1. Oh, very good - didn't see that ending coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan - I'm glad the surprise worked!

      Delete
  2. Beautifully paced - and a great twist at the end!

    Helen / TN

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol! What a great take on the photo prompt. Liked the twist ending :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of "Take these chains from my heart" - who sang that? A black singer with a dark rough voice that sent shivers down my teenage spine.

      Delete
  4. Dear Liz,

    A most excellent use of the prompt. The ending was certainly an unexpected twist. I liked this very much.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unexpected twist and I like the imagery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thak you raesquiggles. I had to read yours because your icon/picture is the same as a blogger here in Tenerife!

      Delete
  6. That's taking things just a bit too far. Great twist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's taking things too far? Henry stealing Celia's squeeze or Celia for hiring one?

      Delete
  7. I did not see that coming (and usually I – you paced it so well, Liz. Celia should have learned long before! Very good story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dawn - it takes a very large sledgehammer to break the heavy chain of wealth!

      Delete
  8. Stealing her man was going to far. What kind of husband...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a step too far! After all, she'd turned a blind eye all those years and then ...

      Delete
  9. LOL, this was a great twist. Celia must have accumulated quite some wealth with all these rocks, but if the man doesn't know where to pull the brakes... Great story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least Celie won't leave with nothing. Kids old enough to leave home, a pocketful of diamonds, and no doubt proof of Henry's serial infidelity ... time to start living!

      Delete
  10. Oh, that's funny. She's got her head screwed on - not so sure how well she succeeded in the stability angle though. Love this story, and great title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margirene - I did wonder if anyone had notice my classical reference!

      Delete
  11. Ha. That was funny.
    I guess he was a "share and share alike" kind of guy.
    Better it was the groom than the horse.
    Randy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That thought opens up a whole new possible story, Randy!

      Delete
  12. Ha.. yes that would be devastating. And to find such double play, but I guess she had enough rocks to sustain herself, and when I saw Randy's comment I'm glad I was not drinking coffee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As it happens, bjorn, I was! *signs off to clean keyboard*

      Delete
  13. Some things can't be forgiven, no matter how large the diamonds on offer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been offered diamonds, so I wouldn't know, but I'd like to test the theory!

      Delete

Do leave a message before you go!