Pages

30.4.15

ZUMO, ZOTE & ZANAHORIA - the end of the A-Z Challenge.



ZUMO in Spanish means juice.  I begin every day with a walk, a shower, and then breakfast, which always has to start with fruit juice. Oranges are around a euro a kilo and make the perfect base for whatever other fruits are in season.
Bananas - we bought some of these this morning at the local market -
mangoes,
strawberries,
or papayas.
This papaya tree is just up the road from where we live - I didn't know before I saw it on one of my morning walks that the fruit grows directly from the trunk.


Continuing my Spanish words theme - here's another one.
ZOTE is a Spanish word meaning dimwit, though whether that is a strong enough word to describe the people who deliberately set fires. Every summer our bomberos – most of whom are volunteers - have to fight to save homes, livestock and crops from total destruction. The fact that they eventually succeed, despite the difficult terrain of steep barrancos and inaccessible cliffs, is a tribute to their courage and training.
                
I love the way words can still surprise me, and here’sanother Z word I found.
ZURCIR = to darn. I presume this means mending socks but, like the expletive “Darn it!” in English, another version is used colloquially – “¡las zurcan!” means “to blazes with them!” which ties in nicely with the previous paragraph.

ZANAHORIAS  are carrots - this was one of the words it took me a long time to learn when we first arrived. 
This road sign in Las Galletas amuses me. The road is about ten metres long, one step from the beach, and the rest of the alphabet is nowhere to be seen - every other road in this small village is named for some dignitary with three names. Calles A to Z would have made life much easier!
AND FINALLY
Until a few years ago all cars registered in Tenerife had the prefix TF followed by four numbers and then letters indicating the year. 
This one is about 20 years old, but bang on target for my final A-Z post.
If you've stayed with me throughout the A-Z Challenge, thank you - your encouragement has kept me going - and if this is your first visit, welcome and feel free to browse.
 My experience of this year's blog-fest has been like the curate's egg, but thank you to the A-Z Team for their sterling work. I shall continue to visit as many blogs as I can, but I am flying to England on Friday for a fortnight with family and friends, so forgive me if I fail to respond immediately to any comments left on my blog. 

13 comments:

  1. The photo of that car is perfect!

    And finishing off the challenge with a photo of bananas - that made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on finishing the challenge Liz. Have a great time with your family :-)

    Annalisa, writing A-Z vignettes, at Wake Up, Eat, Write, Sleep

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We both did it, didn't we? High five!
      I am still in the throes of packing but our flight isn't till 2.30pm so there's plenty of time.
      "panics"

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on completing the challenge! I really enjoyed your theme and your posts :) Makes me want to visit Tenerife again and travel around!

    @TarkabarkaHolgy from
    Multicolored Diary - Epics from A to Z
    MopDog - 26 Ways to Die in Medieval Hungary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your regular visits. Peraps if you make that tenerifectrip we can share a beer!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on finishing the April A-Z Challenge! What plentiful Z's you used.

    I did whole series with 5 blogs. Whew! Done!

    Thanks for stopping by and commenting at The Mane Point: A Haven for Horse Lovers.

    Hope you will be back again!
    The Mane Point A Haven for Horse Lovers .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Five blogs was a real challenge! Well done.

      Delete
  5. Well done, Lizy, on yet another mammoth A to Z. I raise a glass of zumo to you ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats for completing the challenge. I just popped over to check out your reflection post. I didn't get to visit nearly as many blogs as I wanted to during the challenge so I am trying to play catch up now. Cool theme.

    I am number 424 on the reflection post sign up list.
    Melissa Sugar
    sugarlaw13@live.com
    Twitter @msugar13
    http://fictiontoolbox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tanks Melissa - I have just returned from 2 weeks in the UK and the only thing I've caught up eith is the washing!

      Delete
  7. Hello there.
    The photo of the car was quite fitting for the end! (lol)
    Congratulations on surviving the A-Z Challenge! I didn't get to visit your blog during the crazy month of April so I'm popping over today from the Road Trip.

    Entrepreneurial Goddess

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!