Pages

27.4.15

WATERSPORTS - the A-Z Challenge



WINDSURFING – All I know about this sport is that it’s fun to WATCH from the beach or promenade, preferably with a glass of wine and a plate of tapas to hand. El Medano, at the foot of Montaña Roja right by the airport is the place to be. The WIND there is constant and the WAVES roll onto one of Tenerife’s rare sandy beaches.

We often see people arriving at the airport carrying huge black bags containing their boards, some of them of WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP standard..
Naturally there are also enthusiastic amateurs, and falling into the sea from a height is like hitting concrete – or so I’ve heard, I’m not brave enough to try – but the sensation of flying must be amazing when you get it right.






Other WATERSPORTS include this newbie that stopped us in our tracks last year. From where we were standing on Las Galletas seafront he appeared to be suspended on a column of WATER!

6 comments:

  1. I always think of windsurfing as being a nice gentle sport, but those guys can get up some speed! I've seen that floating on water thing too - looks like fun!

    Annalisa, writing A-Z vignettes, at Wake Up, Eat, Write, Sleep

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'd never seen it until that day - viewed from a few hundred yards it was hard to work out?

      Delete
  2. Wow, that does look fun - I know perfectly well though that I don't have the necessary hand or any other strength to ever do anything like this. I'd love to go out on one of those glass bottomed boats though to see life on a reef or something like that - do you have those, Liz?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are glass-bottomed boats, and glass-sided boats too, but you'd never get me into that submarine. I saw the remains of the last one wallowing in Las Galletas harbour and it looked far too small and dodgy!

      Delete
  3. I love watching others enjoy playing in those waves but I'd rather be safely ashore!

    A friend on FB went in one of those subs earlier in the year, Lizy and Liz.

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a message before you go!