Pages

3.10.14

SHIPWRECKED! a 100-word story

A peculiar photo prompt this week for Friday Fictioneers from Rochelle
http://rochellewisofffields.wordpress.com/
It reminded me of mejillones en salsa. Other writers saw different things and thus there are a variety of stories which you can read by following the link on Rochelle's blog.

SHIPWRECKED!

Kyle and Dana lay surrounded by the wreckage of their boat, victims of a freak wave.
Kyle spat seawater. “Where are we?”
“No idea, but GPS will find us – let’s enjoy our own desert island.”

They sunbathed and swam naked on their tiny atoll. They drank rainwater and ate shellfish, made love under the palm trees, but after four days and no sign of rescue the romance palled.
It took them a week to fell a tree, another week to make a raft and fill coconut shells with water.

When the rescuers came, all they found were mussel shells.

20 comments:

  1. Dear Liz,

    This certainly wasn't Gilligan's Island. At least they had four good days. Nicely done.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if they made it home?
    *exits to Google Gilligan's Island*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh! This one gave me the shivers! I wonder what happened to them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The charm of the island wore off pretty quick. I hope they made it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depends what kind of sailors they were, I suppose, or on the mood of the sea!

      Delete
  5. In the movie version let's focus on the four days, okay?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice hanging ending. I will say, to me it says they didn't make it and were lost to sea. But then, I do tend to see the world through obsidian-colored glasses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have to be some pessimists in this world to balance out the optimists like me! It's only in my stories that I write tragedy!

      Delete
  7. Very creative response to this prompt, Lizy! I really enjoyed the island fantasy... I'm off to Fiji next week, and hope it ends a lot better. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope for your sake the only similarity to my story is the seafood!

      Delete
  8. I think they'll make it. They're really quite resourceful despite their initial reliance on the GPS. You've got so much story in this little piece - and the characters are engaging. I love it.
    Cheers
    Marg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Marg - one of these days I shall have to expand some of my 100 worders, especially the ones with an open ending!

      Delete
  9. Four days? As long as that??? :) Nice take on the prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No! They made it! They made it!

    I've just watched The Life of Pi - and he made it so that settles it.

    Well done, Lizy. I enjoyed the fantasy of the island!

    (Although I thought the photo was of some weird Heston Blumenthal lollipop)

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen, but a lollipop? Would you put something like that anywhere near your mouth?

      Delete
  11. I hope they made it home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The balance of opinion seems to assume they will!

      Delete

Do leave a message before you go!